Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anxiety in the school!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have suffered with anxiety since i was young and this means that i went through school with it. I just think that there isn't enough awareness of anxiety in out society but specifically in schools. Having anxiety in the school environment nearly sent me mad! Everyone thinks your either rude, a freak or melodramatic. I'm not saying that we should pander to people with anxiety as i've found that it's usually that method of 'cruel to be kind' that gives me the kick up the backside that i need, but just to have a bit more patience and understanding concerning these people.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree or disagree? What is your experience with anxiety?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I totally agree with this. I don't think there's enough awareness of mental health in school full stop. It's a she really because I reckon a lit of young people who don't recognise they have a mental health problem could really benefit from it.
    I think school years are awful though. If you don't fit in with a particular crowd then your done for. You'll either be ridiculed for 5 years or feel like an outcast - or was that just me?
    People dint seem to understand that mental health problems can't be helped. We don't just decide one morning 'oh yes let's have social anxiety today' or 'i'll have x amount of flashbacks'. It doesn't work like that
    Sorry I realise I got into a bit of a rant... It's a topic I feel quite strongly about

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    beckiboo, i totally agree with you! i felt like in school mental health was something you should be ashamed to talk about and i still feel a little like that now that i'm at work. School was a terrible place and i'd say that's what started me on my downward spiral as school was just the worst environment for my social anxiety - especially being in a girls school where what you looked like and how you acted was a VERY big deal! teachers in schools are not very understanding of mental health either in my opinion (its not just the students that're the problem!).

rant away, its a good place to let it all out with people who feel the same!
  • Options
    Yeah I went to a girl's school too. It was so bitchy, I hated every minute of it!

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Girls schools are the worst! I think its coz they're very superficial
  • Options
    Yeah I couldn't agree more

Sent by Sony Xperia