Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Samaritans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been texting Samaritans fir a while now and they've suggested I may benefit from going into one of the branches and talking to a volunteer face to face. I usually hate doing stuff like this but with everything going on at the minute I think it's an okay idea.

Just wondering if anyone's been in to one of the branches for support if so how did it go?

Sent by Sony Xperia

Comments

• Options
    Ive been in one of the branches I cont do face to face but I found it good after a while
  • Options
    *Heather* wrote: »
    Ive been in one of the branches I cont do face to face but I found it good after a while

What happened when you went in?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Well done for going in by the way :heart:

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    What happened when you went in?

Sent by Sony Xperia

When I went to the branch, where I used to live, they were lovely. At the time, I just needed someone to listen and not judge me and they did just that. They offered a lot of tea. A lot.

They asked me simple stuff, so what had been happening recently, but they didn't push me into saying anything I wasn't comfortable talking about. It was all very much at my own pace, I think the first time I went it was on a Sunday and I had literally no where else to go and I was there for a good few hours, until I was safe enough to be alone back at my flat. They didn't force anything, so for example they asked if I would like medical attention and I said no, which they respected.

It's always somewhere I will keep in mind if I'm desperately in need of someone to talk to, if I'm in a situation when I can't/won't be totally honest with my friends. I use their text and call service too but would recommend visiting a branch for some face to face care.
  • Options
    Thanks for this Ella. I'm thinking about going in tomorrow but I'm not sure :/

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I'm really struggling today and it's not even half 8 yet :( Give me strength...
    I was thinking about going into the branch today but then talked myself out of it. Now I can't even bring myself to leave my front door just to walk to the main house... Jesus Christ what sort of life is this?!

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I'm really struggling today and it's not even half 8 yet :( Give me strength...
    I was thinking about going into the branch today but then talked myself out of it. Now I can't even bring myself to leave my front door just to walk to the main house... Jesus Christ what sort of life is this?!

Sent by Sony Xperia

Take it slow, there's no hurry to get there today or tomorrow. If you don't feel ready then that's okay, only you will know if/when you're able to go and talk to them. Me feeling ready is very different to you, or anyone else, being ready.

When things are a bit calmer, how about just walking there and not going in? How do you feel about ringing people? Most branches have a local number you can ring, instead of the national one. You could consider ringing them and asking them more about what will happen.
  • Options
    Thanks for this Ella. I can't leave the house again today so doesn't look like I'll be going.

I'm not all the confident on the phone to be honest. Silly really.

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Not silly, I know of a lot of people who prefer not to use the phone - including me.

Like I said, take it slow. There's no rush :)
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    Not silly, I know of a lot of people who prefer not to use the phone - including me.

Like I said, take it slow. There's no rush :)

Thank you xx

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    What happens if you go to the branches and where do you go? Do you have to go to a Samaritans call centre to speak to someone, do you have to arrange an appointment or can you just drop in?

Sorry, interested to know if it would be any good with me. :)
  • Options
    What happens if you go to the branches and where do you go? Do you have to go to a Samaritans call centre to speak to someone, do you have to arrange an appointment or can you just drop in?

Sorry, interested to know if it would be any good with me. :)

On their website, it says it's best to call before to check a volunteer will be available and let them know you're coming, you can find out if your local branch offers drop in here: http://www.samaritans.org/branches

:)
  • Options
    I really wanted to pop in today but you know, my brains because stupid

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I found a building on the website 1.5 miles from where I live. Seems pretty okay. :) But I'm dead dead nervous about going there, I almost definitely will call first to ask what it's like.
  • Options
    I found a building on the website 1.5 miles from where I live. Seems pretty okay. :) But I'm dead dead nervous about going there, I almost definitely will call first to ask what it's like.

I wish you the best of luck with this!
    They were supposed to ring me last night but I asked them now too

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I wish you the best of luck with this!
    They were supposed to ring me last night but I asked them now too

Good luck with the phone call Becki :)
    Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    They didn't ring me. They totally forgot about me

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    They didn't ring me. They totally forgot about me

Sent by Sony Xperia

What a shame they didn't call! It felt that you were feeling ready to think about answering too.

It's worth remembering that Samaritans branches are staffed by volunteers who work on shifts and it may be that there was a mix up and the message wasn't passed on or that they were really busy with incoming calls. I'm sure there is a valid reason why they didn't call - however, this doesn't make it any less of a let down :( Not what you need right now. Things like this can be a knock back, especially as you're starting to trust a service.

How would you feel about contacting them to let them know you're disappointed and to arrange a new time, especially if you're feeling like you could really do with this support right now.

Them not calling is no reflection on you or your level of importance. All callers matter to the Samaritans but it's a real shame that they have let you down on this occasion.

*hug*
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    What a shame they didn't call! It felt that you were feeling ready to think about answering too.

It's worth remembering that Samaritans branches are staffed by volunteers who work on shifts and it may be that there was a mix up and the message wasn't passed on or that they were really busy with incoming calls. I'm sure there is a valid reason why they didn't call - however, this doesn't make it any less of a let down :( Not what you need right now. Things like this can be a knock back, especially as you're starting to trust a service.

How would you feel about contacting them to let them know you're disappointed and to arrange a new time, especially if you're feeling like you could really do with this support right now.

Them not calling is no reflection on you or your level of importance. All callers matter to the Samaritans but it's a real shame that they have let you down on this occasion.

*hug*

I text them last night at like 2am saying that I didn't receive the call and feel very uncared for. They apologised and said they didn't know what happened and did I want them to call me. I said no. What's the point?

Going to do that thing today before sunday comes. I've already bought one but feel too scared to do it. Feel physically sick

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    They're going to ring me in a few minutes. I'm nervous again

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    What an idiot. I didn't answer the phone again

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I'm thinking I might e-mail them for info instead of call them, because just found out their calls aren't free. :S
  • Options
    I'm thinking I might e-mail them for info instead of call them, because just found out their calls aren't free. :S

You could always text them and ask them to call you if you prefer. They honestly don't mind

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

They are if you call them on 116 123 - but as Becki says, you can also ask them to call you.

Becki, have you spoken to them now?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    They are if you call them on 116 123 - but as Becki says, you can also ask them to call you.

Becki, have you spoken to them now?

Nope not yet

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I finally spoke to someone from Samaritans on the phone!! She was called Shelley and was so nice. At first I didn't really speak much but she put me at such ease because she was just so funny.
    This morning I text them and asked if it was possible to speak to her again another time and they're looking into it for me. :)

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    That's great, really pleased you got through to someone you felt at ease with
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I finally spoke to someone from Samaritans on the phone!! She was called Shelley and was so nice. At first I didn't really speak much but she put me at such ease because she was just so funny.
    This morning I text them and asked if it was possible to speak to her again another time and they're looking into it for me. :)

Sent by Sony Xperia

So proud of you :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    That's great, really pleased you got through to someone you felt at ease with

They said I can't talk to her again which is a shame because I could really do with talking to someone this week. I hate it here and really want to go home :(
    So proud of you :heart:

Thank you :)

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I am here for you lovely one :heart: *hug*
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "