Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much to service laptop?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much will it cost to get my laptop looked at, and the back taken off and fan cleaned out? Its been running quite loud and hot lately with the screen blacking out every now and then. If its not the fan then whatever else it could be will need looking at.

Any ideas how much this will cost and if it will be worth it? Its about 6/7 years old now

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Lexi

If your laptop's 6/7 years old, I wouldn't spending too much money on fixing it. You could have a quick look on eBay to get an idea of its value.

Would you feel comfortable having a go at cleaning the fan yourself? There's a good article on doing it here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/3417484/how-clean-laptop-fan/

And YouTube is really good for finding videos of different models and exactly where the fan is (I successfully used YouTube to upgrade the RAM in an old laptop, and I had no idea what I was doing!).

If you take it in to a PC World or Curry's they'll do a free consultation, so you could decide from there whether it's worth fixing?
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks I might take it in first actually. I took some of the back off but to get to the fan you have to take all of the back and sides off which im not confident doing. Its started making rattly sounds on start up as well now.
  • Options
    Have you tried hoovering it?
  • Options
    I heard that that's not really a good idea because you can damage the inside?