Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Got a MRI scan tomorrow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really nervous about tomorrow... I have to have an mri scan and I'm totally dreading it. I've had a ct scan which wasn't too bad because you don't haven't anything over your head. But an mri is so confined. Totally going to freak out I can see it

Sent by Sony Xperia

Comments

• Options
    What bit of you is being scanned? I've had my knee and arm done and both times I had my head outside. You can usually choose music or even take a CD for them to play to you too, I chose some really relaxing music and actually went to sleep last time. You've got a panic button if you need it too and they'll get you straight out.
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »
    What bit of you is being scanned? I've had my knee and arm done and both times I had my head outside. You can usually choose music or even take a CD for them to play to you too, I chose some really relaxing music and actually went to sleep last time. You've got a panic button if you need it too and they'll get you straight out.

I'm having my head scanned. How long do you generally stay in the scanner?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I'm having my head scanned. How long do you generally stay in the scanner?

Sent by Sony Xperia

My first one was about an hour and a half, second was about 45 minutes I think :) Oh, and the controller person talks to you and tells you what's going on and stuff :)
  • Options
    Omg no I can't do this...

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture

Sent by Sony Xperia

You can :heart: You will be okay I promise.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Totally panicking now

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    It may be different time wise if it's just for your head. I don't think when I had mine done it lasted that long, I could be wrong though, but like Nina said you have a panic button if it's needed, try not to get yourself to panicky about it. *hug*
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    I think I will be pressing that all yhe time

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Hi,

I've had my head scanned twice and have had a full body scan. If you do have any concerns, you can talk to the people doing the scan beforehand. Whilst in the scanner, you can, as mentioned listen to music or the radio.
  • Options
    How long was you in the scanner for?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    About 45 minutes and about 1 hour for the full body scan.
  • Options
    I've my head scanned and it was fine - the people were lovely and I nearly fell asleep ha.
  • Options
    I think I nearly fell asleep too!
  • Options

Sent by Sony Xperia

Well you have to. Keep calm, deep breaths, shut your eyes. Imagine yourself somewhere else and make a really detailed scenario in your head. Where is a place you feel happy and calm?
  • Options
    I really can't do this, I mean it!

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Good luck today Becki, let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    I'm there now and really panicking. My carer isn't helping either

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    They can't do it today because they have to get more info on previous surgeries I've had :( Got an appointment on Sunday

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    They can't do it today because they have to get more info on previous surgeries I've had :( Got an appointment on Sunday

Sent by Sony Xperia

Sorry to hear that Becki, although it's good that they're making sure they do things properly. You mentioned your carer wasn't helping - do you mean that they weren't very good at helping to calm you down? Will they be going with you on Sunday?

There's some great advice from others here so do have another read through and see if you can prepare yourself a bit for Sunday. Remember that you do have a panic button and if you need to get out then you will be able to :)

*hug*
  • Options
    Yeah I am so grateful for all the support you guys have given me! You're all amazing

Jo7 wrote: »
    do you mean that they weren't very good at helping to calm you down? Will they be going with you on Sunday?

Yeah that's exactly what I mean :/ But I guess there's not a lot they could do. All they kept saying was 'it will be over soon' which isn't all that helpful :/ Yeah they will be going on Sunday!

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Becki

When I was at uni I used to have regular MRI scans for psychology studies (I used to get £20 or so a time). I think I probably had on average one a fortnight for four years or so, so I might be the most MRId person in the country :)

When I first saw the machine it worried me as I do get a bit claustrophobic, but when I went in there, even the first time, I felt fine. The panic button makes things feel easier, and then can get you straight out of there. But I never had any need to use it.

The main problem for me was that I had to stay awake for the studies, and I kept falling asleep! (the sound of the scanner, while a bit loud, is also quite rhythmic and soporific)

Hope Sunday goes OK :)
  • Options
    Thanks Danny

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Going back to do my MRI today. I'm scared

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    How about thinking about it another way.

It's lying on a slightly uncomfortable, but not unpleasant bench thing for a short period of time - listening strange noises, or maybe music. Worst case, you have a panic attack - you wriggle yourself out of the machine and you spoil the scan results. That's the absolute worst outcome, which really isn't the end of the world.

Hopefully thinking about it like that might help you relax slightly and put it into perspective. Personally, I recommend shutting your eyes and going to sleep.
  • Options
    I am proud of you lovely one :heart:
  • Options
    Thanks scary. I didn't see that before I went in. I'm sure that would have helped.
    Was worse then I thought it would be

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Thanks scary. I didn't see that before I went in. I'm sure that would have helped.

Sent by Sony Xperia
    Well done for doing it :)
  • Options
    Well done for doing it :)

Thanks Hann

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options