Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Driving on Provisional Licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was driving on Provisional Licence(without L Plate) when my international Licence was expired and my cousin left me in the middle of the journey as he had an appointment. I have full comprehensive insurance, MOT and Road Tax.
Now I was hit from the back by a lorry AFTER a junction on A road in London. My car got write off and Police had taken all details and officer warned me to face prosecution as I didn't have Full driving licence.
I have received 10 page Form 966 to complete from Metro Pol. What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    The thing is, you can only be in a vehicle with a provisional licence if you are accompanied with someone who is aged over 21 and holds a full driving licence for at least 3 years. It doesn't matter if your cousin left midway (even if he met the criteria) because you were still driving without L-plates and after he left. The other thing, it won't matter if you have insurance etc, because technically you were driving illegally, without a full licence, so your insurance is not likely to cover you - and might get you in more trouble.

Are you from the UK? Because you can't drive using a international licence within the UK anyway - but you have to hold a full licence to get one of those too so that doesn't add up.

From what I understand you have to fill that form in (is it the right form though?) and send it back within 14 days. There isn't much else you can do but wait to see what happens. You'll likely have to go to court, because of the offences, you could receive points on your licence, fines and a possible ban. Worse off if your insurance is invalid. You should speak to a solicitor about this.
  • Options
    Okay.

If int license was expired but this is useless information, if you have an international license and apply for a UK one the international one is ignored/invalid regardless of if it is expired or not.

With the insurance it will not cover your costs but by law, even if driven illegally it'll cover 3rd party costs. It has too.

As for prosecution you'll probably be charged with LC10 driving without accordance to your license and depending on the insurance company stance driving without insurance.

3-6 for the license offence plus if pleading guilty a fine based on your weekly earnings less a 33% guilty fee.

If found guilty of an insurance offence then 6 points and same fine above.

If they're going to prosecute for both, it'll state on the summons when you get one. If you please guilty by post and they ask you to attend court anyway it means they are considering a ban.

Basically I wouldn't drive to court on that day.

Also expect your insurance policy to be cancelled
  • Options
    Thanks for boarding your comments.
    No one was hurt in this accident accept I got some scratches on my wrist and it was not my fault as lorry hit me from the back(right corner). It was a fraction of second.....but very scary.

I am from Sri Lanka. Please comment if Learners can drive attended on M motorway also..since I was on a A road.

I am not sure how long will this take procedure take place.
    Regards
    A Lee
  • Options
    You cannot drive under a provisional licence on a motorway, attended or not.

You can drive attended on all other roads including a-roads / dual carriageways.
  • Options
    Police/CPS have 6 months from the date of offence to lay papers with the courts (I BELIEVE driving otherwise in accordance of a license is a time barred offence but don't quote me on that) so you'll likely hear sometime regarding the offence but the next stage will either be the police contacting you to invite you for a "formal interview under caution" if this is done at the police station you can arrange for a solicitor who accepts legal aid to attend there with you. (I advice this) and it is FREE. OR if the police have enough evidence (which they do, you were driving and they know you where, your license doesn't permit you too the next thing will be a summons from the court. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.

As you are guilty I wouldn't advice fighting the offence regarding the license and the easiest/cheapest way is to plead guilty by post to the offence, unless you have mitigating circumstances of why you were driving. (in which case I'd be interested to hear them)

The form you received, #966 is unrelated to your offences, it's actually a witness for for Dangerous & Careless driving so it looks like the police are looking to lay charges against the Lorry driver also. Fill this in and get it back to them.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    From what I understand you have to fill that form in (is it the right form though?) and send it back within 14 days.

The form is unrelated to his own offences and is a Witness form.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    The form is unrelated to his own offences and is a Witness form.

That's why I wondered if it was the right form to fill in, but I saw your comment above
  • Options
    Hey there,
    I can imagine it's a bit confusing when you are trying to work out what you can and cannot do with different licences but that's for posting your question on here to get some clarity.
    I think HellFire has cleared up your question about the form that you have been sent by the police.
    I'd just like to show you this site that gives more information about driving before you've got a full licence.
    Also, welcome to the boards. You might like to read this thread to help you navigate around the boards.
  • Options
    I agree with Whowhere, also note even if at fault the third party insurerers who hit you will argue it was your fault as an unlicensed driver and will twist it.

Sounds to me like you drive knowing full well it was illegal