Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National Orgasm Day - faking it

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
Modern-Toss-018.jpg

It's National Orgasm Day today!

A study last year found that 58% of women had faked an orgasm at least once in their relationship. 10% of men reported doing the same.

Most of us enjoy a good orgasm (or even an OK one!). But hopefully we also get a lot from giving our sexual partners orgasms. This can contribute to a pressure to orgasm, and some people dealing with this by faking it.

People report different reasons for faking it, including not wanting to hurt their partner's feelings, or because they felt too tired or drunk for a genuine orgasm to be possible.

Have you ever faked an orgasm? Would you? Is sparing a lover's feelings a good thing, or is it always better to be honest?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't say it's always, definitely a bad thing.

If it's definitely not going to happen, then a small amount of faking/exaggeration keeps everyone happy and it can be much less of a mood killer than 'give up, there's no point'.
  • Options
    Ive never faked one but alot of the time i feel like the guy has assumed there has been one when there hasnt and doesnt really know the difference between an orgasm and just having a good time.

I dont think its ever a good idea for either person though. I know id be upset if i found out someone as just pretending the whole time
  • Options
    Sometimes you've just got to fake it to make it.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I have faked. When we first got together, before we knew what we were doing. And whilst my medication pretty much stopped it from being possible.
  • Options
    I think my meds make it a lot harder, I try not to fake it - I haven't with MrRiot but I have previously. Sometimes you start faking it (or exaggerating it) and that pushes you over the edge.
  • Options
    I know I'd feel pretty shit if someone faked it.
  • Options
    I don't see the point of faking it. I'd be sad if someone did fake it with me, because I'd be sad they couldn't be honest. It's possible to have a brilliant time without coming.

Meds, tiredness, stress, inexperience, they all make it harder to come. But faking it doesn't do anyone any favours. How does your partner know which buttons to press if you fake it all the time? Much better to say "I'm having a great time but won't come because of x".

PS :heart: Modern Toss
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I'm really interested that most of the girls have faked it at some point, while the guys say they wouldn't like it if someone had.

I think there's several good points here. On the positive side for faking it is:
    ella! wrote: »
    Sometimes you've just got to fake it to make it.

The way we're taught to see sex is often as a means to an end - orgasm. It is possible to have a brilliant time without coming. But it can also to be hard to make your partner feel this, and not to worry that maybe you're not doing it well enough, or they don't like you enough. That kind of pressured emotional situation makes an orgasm less likely. So faking it and getting rid of that pressure can mean that everything is easier and you're more likely to come.

A possible workaround for this (especially for women's orgasms) is to spend lots of time on oral sex first (or anything else that makes your lover likely to orgasm). If you've made your partner climax before penetrative sex, this can take a lot of pressure off.

On the negative side, faking it can make it really hard to learn together:
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Ive never faked one but alot of the time i feel like the guy has assumed there has been one when there hasnt and doesnt really know the difference between an orgasm and just having a good time.
    Meds, tiredness, stress, inexperience, they all make it harder to come. But faking it doesn't do anyone any favours. How does your partner know which buttons to press if you fake it all the time? Much better to say "I'm having a great time but won't come because of x".

Not only is it really important for both partners to feel fulfilled, but learning what works best for you both can be really enjoyable process, and one that brings you together.

It could also be hurtful to find out that your partner's been faking it. Maybe, like with many other relationship questions, this one comes down to communication. If you're at the beginning of a relationship, or having sex outside of a relationship, then sometimes faking it could mean that you both go away more satisfied. But if you're in a longer-term relationship, it seems important to have those discussions and experiments and teach each other.
  • Options
    I've never faked it.

In long term relationships I've used the saying "don't hold back", which they have known essentially translates as... "I've had a really nice time, but we've been at it a while and I don't think it's going to happen for me today, so you concentrate on what's good for you and don't delay just for my sake".
  • Options
    I think there's an important line between exaggerating in the heat of the moment and just straight up pretending the whole time. Pretending the whole time I don't think could ever really be good. However, if getting in to the swing of things and exaggerating helps you get you both riled up and you're not solely faking it, I don't think there's a problem there. It's been said already but I do think people get too caught up in the 'finale'.

Also, I think YSH's system is pretty good.
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    It could also be hurtful to find out that your partner's been faking it. Maybe, like with many other relationship questions, this one comes down to communication. If you're at the beginning of a relationship, or having sex outside of a relationship, then sometimes faking it could mean that you both go away more satisfied. But if you're in a longer-term relationship, it seems important to have those discussions and experiments and teach each other.

If it's a one-night stand with a stranger I probably wouldn't care too much if they were faking it, though I'd think them a bit silly for it. I don't see the point of it. I'm not precious enough to think that I've failed if the girl doesn't come, because there are so many reasons why they wouldn't.

But for anything more than that, I'd be quite upset at the lying. And faking it is lying, even if it's only a white lie and it's done with the best of intentions. I'd much rather have the honesty- "I'm having a great time but I won't be coming any time soon"- than have them fake an orgasm. I think faking it just does more harm than good.
  • Options
    If it's a one-night stand with a stranger I probably wouldn't care too much if they were faking it, though I'd think them a bit silly for it. I don't see the point of it. I'm not precious enough to think that I've failed if the girl doesn't come, because there are so many reasons why they wouldn't.

But for anything more than that, I'd be quite upset at the lying. And faking it is lying, even if it's only a white lie and it's done with the best of intentions. I'd much rather have the honesty- "I'm having a great time but I won't be coming any time soon"- than have them fake an orgasm. I think faking it just does more harm than good.

This.