Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Loads of things don't show up.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Okay, so, I've noticed recently that I can't see the mod avatars in chats and can't see certain things on the boards. Where people post videos (I assume there's meant to be a big screen with a play button in the middle?) I see a massive blank space, and the same with pictures.

I'm running Chrome with the add-ons AdBlock and Disconnect. However, disabling these does not seem to make a difference. Any ideas? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't see the videos either when I'm on chrome on my iPad.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Thanks for this guys!

Mike: Could you attach a screenshot or two (or email it/them to info@thesite.org if that's easier)? Also, which operating system are you using (mobile or desktop?)? It sounds like there's something blocking images even after you've disabled AdBlock and Disconnect. Does changing browser affect it?

ysh: I'm wondering if that has something to do with Flash? If so, there's not much we can do about it I'm afraid. Let's hope YouTube ditches it sooner rather than later! Is it just Chrome?
  • Options
    James wrote: »
    Thanks for this guys!

Mike: Could you attach a screenshot or two (or email it/them to info@thesite.org if that's easier)? Also, which operating system are you using (mobile or desktop?)? It sounds like there's something blocking images even after you've disabled AdBlock and Disconnect. Does changing browser affect it?

ysh: I'm wondering if that has something to do with Flash? If so, there's not much we can do about it I'm afraid. Let's hope YouTube ditches it sooner rather than later! Is it just Chrome?

http://snag.gy/Q26tm.jpg

http://snag.gy/s8OsK.jpg

Do they help? You can see the massive space in your post, James. Where WOTH said she posted a picture there was nothing either.

However, after just testing IE I think it could be a bug with Chrome! (Feel like I've wasted time now!) Changing browsers seems to work. :)
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for those. Definitely sounds like a browser thing then! :)
    Judging by the fact that the share functions in the floating box on the left don't appear in your screenshots either, it's possible that chrome is blocking javascript. The videos not appearing could be it blocking flash too - maybe have a play around with your browser settings (and extensions)?

Or you could always use vanilla Firefox to browse the boards!
  • Options
    Hmm, Javascript is 'allowed' on all websites and there seems to be no issue with Flash. I'll play around with Chrome and just use Firefox in the meantime (which I used forever 'til a month or so ago because it got a little buggy).

Thanks anyway, James. :)