Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vote for tech to change the world (Google's global impact challenge)

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
Google is giving away a load of money to non-profit organisations to develop potentially world-changing technology, which is nice of them!

Only, they haven't decided who to give most of the money to. So, they're asking people to vote for their favourite projects!

There's quite a range of stuff, including apps for helping you get into work, improving your mental health and even managing your social care.

You can see and vote for the 10 finalists here.

What do you think of the entries? And who did you vote for?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Am I being stupid? I totally don't get the link haha

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    hehe, probably my explanation!

Here's the official Google blurb, which explains things more clearly:
    Google wrote:
    10 projects to make a better world, faster

The Google Impact Challenge supports UK nonprofits using technology to tackle problems and transform lives around the world. Vote now for your four favourite projects - voting ends on 30th July.

Ten winning projects have been selected to receive £200,000. Now it's over to you to help us. Select your favourite four and the people's choice will receive £500,000, alongside an additional three nonprofits selected by our judges. All nonprofits will receive support from Google.org to make their vision a reality.
    No your explanation was fine. I mean when I click on the link I don't get what I need to do haha

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    I voted for the wildlife one (wasn't sure about my other 3 votes - couldn't decide!). Personally I think endangered wildlife reaching the point of no return in terms of their numbers should take priority; we could lose something and never get it back, which I think is more important than most of those other issues. On a not 100% relevant, but not unrelated note, I stumbled across this.
    I realised it was because I was on my phone... Apologies

I voted for we are what we do because I think its was really important. It would be great if games could improve young peoples lives
    Interesting choices guys :)
    There don't seem to be any bad choices really! I suppose it's more a question of priorities..

Mike: that link is pretty disheartening. Feels like it's something most people kind of know on some level (though maybe not how extreme it is), but are reluctant to really engage with. The DRC wildlife project was one of my votes too ;)

Becki: hehe, glad it worked in the end! I like the We Are What We Do project too (another of my votes). Seems like an effective way to get people thinking about their mental health a bit more. Did you know that we're releasing our own app soon?! It'll be called 'Stress Heads' and will try and help people manage stress and anxiety! Keep an eye out for it :) #ShamelessAdvertising
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'm centrepoint all the way - found it a really easy choice. However, not so easy to decide where my other votes should go...
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Just saw this today.

Same here Helen, Centrepoint #1, followed by Catch22, St Giles Trust & We Are What We Do
    I can't seem to vote on it now but I would have gone for the relate one - from my personal experiences it's so badly needed!!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I can't seem to vote on it now but I would have gone for the relate one - from my personal experiences it's so badly needed!!

The voting had probably closed already :(

The winner of the popular vote was the RNIB with this project. The 3 other winners (as chosen by the judges) were Kew Gardens, Centrepoint and WeFarm.
    Cool - I voted for centrepoint, RNIB and wefarm.