Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I feel so empty!

ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
We just had a big family celebration which I had organised and worked hard on, but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled I just feel empty inside. Why?
Everyone kept patting me on the back saying what a good job I did, how much they enjoyed and that I should be proud of myself, but I don't feel positive about it and I definitely don't feel proud of myself.
Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sorry I don't have the answer to that sometimes we feel empty even when we've put so much hard work into something. Do you feel anything at all?!
  • Options
    Only negative feelings about myself. :crying:
  • Options
    Hey Reena,

Can you think of a time when you have felt proud of yourself before? Is it a feeling that you're familiar with?

Some people find it really hard to give themselves a pat on the back and not everyone finds it easy to accept compliments. This can sometimes be linked to low self esteem.

Was there anything about the day that you did enjoy? Perhaps writing down some of the positives could help you see it in a brighter light?

It can be confusing when our emotions don't match up to how we think we 'should' feel in any given situation but I wonder if it helps to remember that when it comes to feelings there really aren't any set rules - we all react differently and whatever you're feeling is valid for you. It sounds like you're a bit frustrated with this empty feeling though so it's actually good that you're questioning it - the more we work on understanding our feelings the easier it can be to change things.

It's also worth remembering that there are some things you can do to help you feel more positive though - we have an article on being positive that has some tips that might be useful?

*hug*
  • Options
    Thank you Jo7.
    I have felt proud of myself, I even won a cake competition recently. - although it didn't really sink in at first, I was proud of my achievement.

One positive was that the main people enjoyed the day, which was the aim.

Thanks for the link I'll have a look. :(
  • Options
    Well done with the cake competition Reena - that' fab! You should be really proud of yourself, but I know that's hard. I really struggle with feeling proud of myself. I'm not sure I ever have been proud of anything related to me. I hate it when others say they're proud of me, it mixes up my emotions so much. You're not on your own lovely! Those links that Jo posted are super helpful - worth a read :)

I hope the celebration event went well in the end and you managed to enjoy yourself.

What are your plans for the weekend?

*hug*
  • Options
    Thank you rach, it's good to know I'm not alone. Still feel empty about the whole thing, like I'm numb. :no:

I did enjoy, and most things went well, it was just when others were praising me, I couldn't stick it.

This weekend I'm getting ready to go away with my family to see our relatives. :thumb:
  • Options
    How was your weekend Reena? Hope you had a good one x
  • Options
    BlondieLiz wrote: »
    How was your weekend Reena? Hope you had a good one x

Yes, it was lovely thank you, but since getting back, I don't know, can't seem to pick myself up. :no:
  • Options
    Reena wrote: »
    Yes, it was lovely thank you, but since getting back, I don't know, can't seem to pick myself up. :no:

*hug*

Glad to hear you had a good weekend with your family Reena. What does the rest of your week hold?

I know you're really into your music and films - perhaps they could help give you a bit of a pick me up? Maybe making a playlist for a friend or planning a movie night? Are you watching any good tv shows at the moment?

Do you find that you often get these dips in your mood? Is there anyone you can chat to about it? Of course you can always chat to us here :heart:
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    *hug*

Glad to hear you had a good weekend with your family Reena. What does the rest of your week hold?

I know you're really into your music and films - perhaps they could help give you a bit of a pick me up? Maybe making a playlist for a friend or planning a movie night? Are you watching any good tv shows at the moment?

Do you find that you often get these dips in your mood? Is there anyone you can chat to about it? Of course you can always chat to us here :heart:

Yes, I do get these dips from time to time. Sometimes I have an idea why and others, no clue! :(
    I don't like to bother others, I know that talking about it does help, but everyone else around me always seem so busy.
    I'm trying to keep busy, looking for a new job and cooking bits that a local shop said they would sell for me, - not confident about them though. Practice, practice, practice, but the shop workers seemed to like them, and my solicitor.
    I'm trying to do more writing, I love making up stories. :hyper:

Still feeling the same, have cried a little back and fore.
    Thank you for the advice, I will think about the movie night. Xx :)