Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Opening up about mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've recently started therapy and just opened up about my eating disorder they wanted to refer me to the ED clinic but I said no as I hate talking about it. I feel so embarrassed by it and disgusted in myself does anyone else feel like this when talking about it?!

How can I be more open about it without freaking out?!

I feel so stupid and embarrassed posting this. I've not been open with therapist as open as I have been with this one about food issues I suppose it's about getting comfortable with talking about it but ideas of ways that could help would be greatly appreciated.

General ideas to open up about mental health as I struggle to do this at times I can never find the words and get all mixed up! I write things down sometimes and I've just started keeping a diary to take with me as I forget what I've done all week when she asks me so hopefully that will help in therapy!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So I'm debating whether to ring my psychologist as my CPN is off but I'm debating whether I'll be annoying her not or if it's allowed I'll have to remember to ask her Friday and hope I can last the week -anxious-
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey BlondieLiz,

First of all, well done on posting. I know you said it doesn't feel comfortable, so it's a really brave step to take and it certainly doesn't come across as either stupid or embarrassing :)
    BlondieLiz wrote: »
    I've not been open with therapist as open as I have been with this one about food issues I suppose it's about getting comfortable with talking about it but ideas of ways that could help would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like a good direction to be heading in. I can imagine that getting used to talking about food issues is pretty tough, especially at first. There are loads of potentially helpful articles around TheSite (take a look here), but perhaps this one might be a great starting point:
    How to talk about your mental health.

You've got some great ideas already; a diary could be really useful!

In terms of phoning your psychologist, it's hard to say without knowing her. Asking her on Friday seems sensible. She might be able to talk you through your options while your CPN is away too?
    Hi James

Thanks for your reply :) I will have a look at those links thanks just hope it gets easier in time I hate talking about it and feels like that will never change but maybe with time!

Yeh think I'll ask her this week when I see her :) I don't know where phone calls stand with her I know what she had to report back to my CPN just not if I'm allowed to call her as CPN said about duty worker which I hate talking to new people as most of them have been tossers and just been like sober up if I could sober up it would help but when you've not had a drink it's difficult to sober up haha! Or it's a relax and chill oh yeh coz that's easy as abc!

Anyway I'll stop babbling thanks again for your reply :)
    Been struggling a lot lately not that there seems any point in posting around here. Don't know if I want therapy or if it's going to help it seems like it won't how can talking through things help I've done it before and it didn't really help in the long term I relapsed again and again.

Pointless bothering with life
    Worthless piece of shit. Proven.
    Pointless.crisis.life.shit.fuck.life.useless.wasteofspace
    What's the point.
    Not like anyone gives a shit.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I care. Are you okay :heart:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Hey BlondieLiz

How are you doing today? It seems like you've had a rough few days?? Did you manage to contact Crisis? Hope they were at least a little helpful?

Sending you a big *hug*
    Thank you banana monkey I'm ok thank you plodding on :)

Nar crisis didn't contact me back surprise there NOT! They're useless.

Had therapy today and asked her about calling which she's ok about and made some outlines for calling if I did call but CPN back next week yay! Hopefully be back on track soon :) staying positive life can only get better!

Hugs!