Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Special Education - your experiences & insight

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
Yo dudes..

I am just looking for some insight on working with children with additional needs. I have had some experience myself, but I am looking more, at people who have got long term experiences with working with children with additional needs.

I currently work in childcare, and I have always had a passion for working with children with additional needs, however I just wanted to kind of get an idea, before I make any decisions.

I know that I could Google this, however I feel like it would benefit me to get an idea from the community on here.

Thank you in advance
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *waves*

Both my placements I did a lot of work with children with additional needs. What kind of thing where you looking for?
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I guess just peoples experiences, like on a day to day type thing, so like the good and the more challenging things.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First placement, I worked with a group of 6 children with complex needs, some where emotional some where physical and other's where social. Giving that my first placement was my first experience of children with special needs I did struggle at the start. Day to day it did differ. But I noticed after being there for some time, the children did start to trust me a lot more. I took the huge task of using these children for my first ever assessment, and it had to be a physical activity. Trying to adapt it for all the children was super hard, but seeing them all enjoying and taking part in the activitys was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. When I was speaking to the parents of the children they where telling me that their children spoke very fondly of me, and that they enjoyed how I made learning for them.

My second placement I had a child who had Social and Emotional difficulties. The little boy did not have English as his first language, after speaking to his parents, they allowed me to work with thier child on a one to one bases, slowly over the 4 months I was there I noticed the little lad improve a lot, he was talking to other children, mixing well, had a better relationship with. The parents where able to say that he was coming out of his shell more at home and things too. That in it's self was an amazing thing to hear.

The challenging things would be, with a large group of kids, kindof like if one's having a bad day you have to watch how you deal with it so it does not have a negative impact on the rest of the children. Trying to make sure that everything is suitable for all the children and making sure that it's something that they will all enjoy is extremely stressful.

If I'm 100% honest with you, working with children with special needs has been one of the best experiences of my life. I'd do it all again if I had to. I loved it

I hope that helped a little, if you need/want anything else you know where to find me:)