Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Did you know...

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
Yo dudes! :wave:

So this weekend, I had some spare time and I decided to do a google search on some fun and interesting facts, and my favourite saying this weekend was "did you know" I am pretty sure the YouthNet staff and other volunteers were fed up of me saying it after like the 5th fact. Hahahaha!

didyouknow.jpg

So here goes.. Some fun facts.

The 409 excalators in the London subway cover a distance every week which is approximately equivalent to several trips around the globe

The Queen of England who once enjoyed extensive powers and authority over almost the whole world, and despite all her present majesty and glory, is not allowed to enter the House of Commons simply because she is not a member

Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the varieties of pickle the company once had

Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine

Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying

Dolphins sleep with one eye open

The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum in 9000 years old

So.... What I thought would be cool was for us to all share some fun facts that others may not know.

Sharing is caring :heart:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh dear.... Haha. It's a shame Alex can't see this because she'd find it funny haha

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Alex will be able to see this when she's next in... :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Woooo yeah :-)

Ooh Helen? Totally of subject but can I write a blog for volunteer network? :heart:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    Did you know that in Spain in the olden days the coins used to have heads on both sides? It was a win-win situation!
  • Options
    *plonks owl facts in here*

This is not the same with every owl species, the color of the owls eyes normally indicate what time of day the owls are active, however there are always exceptions, most owls tend to hunt around the same time as other owls with the same color of eyes.

Orange eyed owls- Owls that have orange eyes are active from around dawn and dusk this is known as being crepuscular. Owls with orange eyes include the Eurasian Eagle Owl and the Great horned Owl, which can be found around the world.

Dark Brown/Black eyed owls- Owls that have got dark brown or black eyes are normally nocturnal, they prefer to hunt at night time. The dark color does not help the owls see in the dark but it can help camouflage them better than brighter-colored eyes. Owls with dark eyes include the Northern Spotted Owl, Barred Owl and the Barn owl. They all do hunt at night time, but sometimes they can be seen in daylight, especially on very cloudy days.

Yellow eyed owls- Owls that have yellow eyes are diurnal, they prefer to hunt during the day. Owls like the Great Gray Owl, which is around 30 inches long, would be an example of a diurnal owl with yellow eyes. In turn the owls with yellow eyes have got excellent eyesight, they can also hear mice or other tiny rodents moving beneath the snow, they then swoop down to grab them with their talons. An example of an powerful hunter would be the Short-Eared owl, they are about the size of a large crow.

*plonks owl photos here*
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

Really? Didn't know she came on the boards? I'm sure it will make her chuckle. That night I think we were all in bed thinking 'did you know' haha

• Options
    Woooo yeah :-)

Ooh Helen? Totally of subject but can I write a blog for volunteer network? :heart:

Alex told me to email her and then she'd send it to the right people

• Options
    I think I defo left my mark on the weekender with my 'did you knows'

Okay dokes. I will do that at some point. I just normally post on the network thats all.

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Did you know that in Spain in the olden days the coins used to have heads on both sides? It was a win-win situation!

I did know this :p - It would be great to have an all heads coins when doing heads and tails!
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying

Why am I only finding this out now? I've went through so many hospitality classes in tears because of Onions #HighSchoolDays
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »

Amazing!!!!
  • Options
    did you know...

a few random ones...

Did you know reindeer like bananas? (good taste!)

Did you know dreamt is the only word that ends in mt? (and you're totally thinking of other words now!!)

Did you know the first letters of the months July through to November spell JASON (no way?!)

Did you know each time you see a full moon you always see the same side (Because I like spacey stuff!)

Did you know M&M's chocolate stands for the initials for its inventors Mars and Murrie (they taste good too!)

Did you know In eastern Africa you can buy beer brewed from bananas (alcohol and on your way to 5 a day?!...please drink responsibly) ;)

Did you know it's possible to lead a cow up stairs but not down (you no you now want to try this!)

Did you know a strawberry is the only fruit which seeds grow on the outside (I actually did!!!!!!!)

I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight knowing these now ;) :hyper:
  • Options
    my favourite saying this weekend was "did you know" I am pretty sure the YouthNet staff and other volunteers were fed up of me saying it after like the 5th fact. Hahahaha!

We loved it!!!!!
  • Options
    *rach* wrote: »
    a few random ones...

Did you know reindeer like bananas? (good taste!)

I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight knowing these now ;) :hyper:

Reindeers are so scary!
    I definitely won't be sleeping better :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I'm sat wondering how someone found out that a reindeer like banana's...
  • Options
    Tues wrote: »
    Reindeers are so scary!
    I definitely won't be sleeping better :P

Sorrryyyyy!!!!
  • Options
    *rach* wrote: »
    Sorrryyyyy!!!!

You're forgiven ;) *hug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    SuzyOwl wrote: »
    I'm sat wondering how someone found out that a reindeer like banana's...

I know!!! Who know's hey!!
  • Options
    Did you know that if I was Latvian, my name day would be on the same day as my birthday!

• Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if you are a GP?
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if your car is black?
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive at rush hour? (1/6 people have an accident in rush hour, whereas 1/10 people have an accident outside of rush hour)
  • Options
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if you are a GP?
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if your car is black?
    Did you know that you are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive at rush hour? (1/6 people have an accident in rush hour, whereas 1/10 people have an accident outside of rush hour)

What programme was that on? I remember watching it last week!
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Testing Britain's Worst Drivers (something like that :) )
  • Options
    Did you know that only 6% of care leavers go to uni!

This is why I want to prove them wrong! If there's any care leavers on here, please please please think about going to uni

• Options
    Did you know...

The human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colours

There is a gene that can cause you to be negative most of the time

Children grow faster in the springtime.

The lifespan of a taste bud is 10 days

The word 'school' comes from the ancient Greek, for 'free time'

Astronauts on the international space station witness around 15 sunrises and 15 sunsets everyday

Most astronauts become two inches taller in space

40 per cent of twins invent their own language

A 4 year old child asks about 437 questions a day

The Eiffel tower is repainted every 7 years
  • Options
    Did you know there's a rare form of colour blindness where all you can see is black, white and different shades of grey.
  • Options
    I am loving all these facts dudes :heart:
  • Options
    Even I'm getting involved with this and I didn't think I would haha

• Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    Even I'm getting involved with this and I didn't think I would haha

Me either, I thought you would of had enough of it all from Saturday. :P

It kept me amused though hahahaha!
  • Options
    Me either, I thought you would of had enough of it all from Saturday. :P

It kept me amused though hahahaha!

Yeah I know :)

• Options
    :)