Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Banned dogs

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
So, the government's list of banned dogs was recently brought to my attention...

I knew there were banned dogs in the UK, but I wasn't sure which ones.

Here's the link.

So, do you agree that these breeds should be banned?

Any others you'd add to the list, and why?

Finally, can you identify the breeds of these banned dogs in the pics?

1. 14481992878_50d1a258e5.jpg

2. 14688523203_da3851cacb.jpg

3. 14481948360_1b9ff8b762.jpg

:chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not the dogs, it's the owners and how they raise the dog. This pisses me off.
    It's not the dogs, it's the owners and how they raise the dog. This pisses me off.

Agreed
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Breed specific legislation was rushed through, obviously hasn't worked and make dogs and owner suffer.
    About time it was scrapped.

I would love a Dogo Argentino.
    Weekender Offender 
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »

I would love a Dogo Argentino.

That's the one I forgot to add a pic for!

dogo_argentino.jpg

Why do you think it was rushed through?
    I think all dogs are beautiful and I think it's not right that there is 'banned dogs'. Just because theres a few dogs that have a violent nature, doesn't mean that all of that breed should be banned. I agree with butterfly, there's no such thing as a bad dogs theres only bad owners.
    Theres bad people in the world, so would we start banning people? Like for example there are loads of men that are paedophiles (I know there's females too) so just because there are men like that out there, does that mean all men will be banned?
    Sorry for going all ranty but it just really makes me angry

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    When we decided to get a dog again, we did our research and decided on a golden retriever. They're meant to be brilliant family dogs especially around young children. My sister and I were eleven when we rescued a golden retriever from a nearby rescue centre. That night he pinned my sister to the floor and attacked her quite badly in the face. The reason I am saying this is it's not as simple to say that the dog is bad. Golden retrievers are renowned for being good family dogs, yet the dog we rescued attacked quite viciously. I think perhaps some dogs could possibly be predisposed to rage or aggressiveness and unfortunately circumstances in their lives mean they're prone to aggression. But that's due to experiences and what sometimes the owner has subjected them to. Whereas another dog of the same breed who has the same predisposition to aggression may have had a life full of live, care and positive attention and therefore never goes on to ever show aggression. I don't think any living thing is born bad although they maybe predisposed to certain character traits, it's the circumstances within their lives that determines their personality and such. Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    **helen** wrote: »
    Why do you think it was rushed through?

There were a couple of bad dog attacks at the time and the kneejerk reaction was to ban these breeds.
    There's very little evidence that breed has much of an effect on aggression. How a dog is trained and raised has far more effect on temperament.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLBEM8Xp3w[/video]
    Weekender Offender 
    As it was introduced in 1991 and hasn't been repealed as unworkable/unpopular the received wisdom that it didn't work and was a reaction to a non-existent problem is as kneejerk as the legislation was supposed to be

I'm not sure I'm totally in favour of it, much like I think we've gone to far on banning firearms, but there's little doubt there was massive public support and in a democracy politicians need to take account of that

I also think showing pictures of cute looking dogs is as much emotional blackmail as posting pictures of five year olds with their faces torn of
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Not intended to be emotional blackmail, just intended to get people talking...and showing the latter would be a bit mad.
    I don't get how this would be emotional blackmail?

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    As it was introduced in 1991 and hasn't been repealed as unworkable/unpopular the received wisdom that it didn't work and was a reaction to a non-existent problem is as kneejerk as the legislation was supposed to be

I'm not sure I'm totally in favour of it, much like I think we've gone to far on banning firearms, but there's little doubt there was massive public support and in a democracy politicians need to take account of that

I also think showing pictures of cute looking dogs is as much emotional blackmail as posting pictures of five year olds with their faces torn of

The ultimate aim of the legislation was to curb dog attacks. Dog attacks have increased. How is that not a failure?
    The law was rushed in due to irresponsible media coverage. It wasn't well thought through. The RSPCA thinks its bullshit, Vetenarians think its bullshit.

And emotional blackmail? What a strange thing to say. Theyre just standard pictures of dogs, not especially cute?
    Weekender Offender