Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chat room

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Everyone it's Crazykiss here. I just wanted to know wether someone said something to u in a chat room or they were ignoring u for no reason. How can I tell they wouldn't like me or not? There's been a couple of times people have done that but wanted to know if it was just me or that they were doing it on purpose.

I want to get on with everyone in the chat room and where there is an incident I feel like its always down to me for being horrible but I'm not at all and it maybe that u think it's me but it isn't.

Want the chat rooms to be a safe place for everyone to go on without it being uncomfortable and lonely. I don't like seeing anyone by themselves and something needs to be done to prevent this for happening.

Good that the mods step in but I feel like nothing seems to be done further about it.

Any suggestions please to make chat a safer friendly place? :)

Comments

• Options
    I think you should PM one of the mods about this because it could cause a reaction. I know you haven't named any people but it still could affect the people you mean (I'm not sure who they are)
  • Options
    You have to bear in mind with chat that it moves very fast sometimes, so it's often not that someone is being bored - more that what they said fell off the screen too quickly.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Crazykiss,

Chat is a really different environment to the boards. As Scary said, it can get pretty fast, meaning that things can get easily missed. So, if it feels like someone's ignoring you, it's probably just because they're concentrating on something else and didn't see what you said. Does that make sense?

If that happens, you could repeat what you said, or just wait until they're less busy.

Of course, if there are any specific incidents you feel were unfair, the best thing to do is to PM one of us mods - as BeckiBoo said :)
  • Options
    Yh I understand that and I should wait untill they reply back to me but what if chat is coming to the end and they still didn't say hi to me? Do I report it then cuz it's silly to when they only have just ignored me. Chat is really busy and can't keep up half the time but people should still be friendly towards others and I feel like when I put myself in a conversation with other people I get one or two who just keep talking as normal to one another and leave me out and thats happened recently. What do I do then? I can't keep on trying if they don't respond. Making a complaint will proberly be the best way forward if say I'm not happy or someone says something horrible to me. There shouldn't be any sweating for a start and people use it on here and on chat. Not allowed.
  • Options
    People will respect you if you respect them.
  • Options
    Hi Crazykiss - it's good to see you're looking to work out the best way to get the most out of chat.

It might help to think of it like this... Imagine you walk into a room full of people, a bit of a gathering or a party for example - there are a few conversations going on in small groups... you say hi and a couple of people notice you just walked in and they say hi back and you start chatting. Others might be caught up in their conversations so they don't speak to you straight away and that's okay, it's probably best to leave them to it. Over the course of the party people mingle and move around between conversations and some people like to sit in the corner and observe and not say too much. There may be some people that you don't ever speak to. The mod is like the host .. they check in on people from time to time to make sure they're okay and they'll join in with some of the conversations too.

The chat room works in a similar way. In chat there can be more than one conversation going on at once and there is no rule to say that everyone has to talk to everyone else. It's a relaxed set up and an informal one so the best approach is to go with the flow if you can and not worry too much who has and hasn't said hi.

In terms of swearing, we do allow this in chat as long as it's not aimed at someone. The odd swear word when someone is expressing themselves is something that we allow on TheSite. If it became too much or it was said in anger towards someone then the moderator would step in to ask that person maybe to take a break if they need to or try to avoid swearing so much.

I hope that helps to clarify how the chat works here :)
  • Options
    Not helpful advice Butterfly. This is exactly what I mean people! Some peoples attiude on here. Never mind :) I'm just gonna walk away and remain calm and let butterfly and others on here argue with me. Atleast I know I'm the decent enough person. I will not be blamed for arguing cuz I would of walked away and that's what I'm doing now :)
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hi Crazykiss - it's good to see you're looking to work out the best way to get the most out of chat.

It might help to think of it like this... Imagine you walk into a room full of people, a bit of a gathering or a party for example - there are a few conversations going on in small groups... you say hi and a couple of people notice you just walked in and they say hi back and you start chatting. Others might be caught up in their conversations so they don't speak to you straight away and that's okay, it's probably best to leave them to it. Over the course of the party people mingle and move around between conversations and some people like to sit in the corner and observe and not say too much. There may be some people that you don't ever speak to. The mod is like the host .. they check in on people from time to time to make sure they're okay and they'll join in with some of the conversations too.

The chat room works in a similar way. In chat there can be more than one conversation going on at once and there is no rule to say that everyone has to talk to everyone else. It's a relaxed set up and an informal one so the best approach is to go with the flow if you can and not worry too much who has and hasn't said hi.

In terms of swearing, we do allow this in chat as long as it's not aimed at someone. The odd swear word when someone is expressing themselves is something that we allow on TheSite. If it became too much or it was said in anger towards someone then the moderator would step in to ask that person maybe to take a break if they need to or try to avoid swearing so much.

I hope that helps to clarify how the chat works here :)

That is a brilliant example. :)

Crazykiss I did reply to you once in another thread and I know I am just repeating myself here, but you don't automatically get on with people you meet day to day and the same goes for people you meet online.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    I'm not going to argue back as I'm gonna be the bigger person but I don't need the likes of u to be all nice to me in front of my face then talk shit about me behind my back. I'm sorry if I was being argumentative there but I don't fall for it and I don't let anyone play with my feelings and emotions. I thought we weren't speaking ellie so why have u replied to my thread? You dont like me to of not been mean to me those times. I know I have some people who I do get on with on here and I can forget about the rest as they always say u get someone where ever u go. I'm just gonna be happy and not let anyone walk all over me. Thanks for ur advice Becki Boo, Jo, Scary Monster and James :)
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    I'm not going to argue back as I'm gonna be the bigger person but I don't need the likes of u to be all nice to me in front of my face then talk shit about me behind my back. I'm sorry if I was being argumentative there but I don't fall for it and I don't let anyone play with my feelings and emotions. I thought we weren't speaking ellie so why have u replied to my thread? You dont like me to of not been mean to me those times. I know I have some people who I do get on with on here and I can forget about the rest as they always say u get someone where ever u go. I'm just gonna be happy and not let anyone walk all over me. Thanks for ur advice Becki Boo, Jo, Scary Monster and James :)

What do you mean we're not speaking? I don't think I have ever had a conversation with you before..

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Couple of occasions I tried speaking to u but I never heard back from you. I was saying hi to u everytime u replied to a thread but nothing. I gave up then presumed you didn't want to talk to me because of the incident on what happened before but im not going into it as im a bigger person and don't need to keep arguing with the same people on here day in day out. I don't care if you don't like me or not but im not gonna pretend I like you so we both know where we stand. I just know that I give everyone a chance and if someone don't like me then I don't like them.
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    Couple of occasions I tried speaking to u but I never heard back from you. I was saying hi to u everytime u replied to a thread but nothing. I gave up then presumed you didn't want to talk to me because of the incident on what happened before but im not going into it as im a bigger person and don't need to keep arguing with the same people on here day in day out. I don't care if you don't like me or not but im not gonna pretend I like you so we both know where we stand. I just know that I give everyone a chance and if someone don't like me then I don't like them.

Whoa slow down a second. I honestly think you have me confused with somebody else.. I rarely ever come onto TheSite and I have certainly never argued with you. I have never stated that I have/haven't disliked you, I don't know you! I have never had a conversation with you before. I was simply trying to help. Don't be so rude.

Edit: What incident are you referring to?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    You're right Ellie, you have been confused with someone else, but even if you were the person she's confusing you with, it wouldn't be a fair way to be spoken to.

Going to close this thread now, as you said, Jo gave a brilliant example - best analogy I've ever heard for it which sums up really well what people can expect from chat :thumbup:
This discussion has been closed.