Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Organ donation with no objections

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I'm registered as an organ donor but my relatives don't know anything about it. I also happen to know for a fact that there's nothing I could say to make them agree to it.
I've read that hospitals apparently take relatives' wishes into account when it comes to organ donation. I even just got an email saying that they'd "have to agree". If that's the case then there's absolutely no point in my being registered as they'd never let it happen.

Is there any legally binding way to do something like provide a list of people whose opinion I don't want to be taken into account? Would it make a difference in any way that both I and they are foreign nationals?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought that if you're registered as an organ donor then that's it, no one else can change that
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I thought the same thing, but apparently they listen to people simply because you share more genes with them than with the average person.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the circumstances. I am also registered as an organ donor. It's a bit depressing to think like this but it said that if it is written in the person will that they want to donate their organs then the relatives can't argue with it

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    This is really interesting. It states on the organ donation site (here) that the family have no legal right to overturn the decision, so I imagine it will be up to the healthcare professionals how to play it.

As BeckiBoo alludes to, I suggest you simply make it as clear as possible. On that site it mentions being on the register, carrying the card and writing it in your will if you have one.
  • Options
    I registered a long time ago now, before my 18th, I believe they only take relatives' opinions in to account if you're under that age? That's what I heard anyway. Other than that, if you're 18+ and you carry the card, you're done. :) Interesting what Cat posted though.
  • Options
    Cat88 wrote: »
    This is really interesting. It states on the organ donation site (here) that the family have no legal right to overturn the decision, so I imagine it will be up to the healthcare professionals how to play it.

As BeckiBoo alludes to, I suggest you simply make it as clear as possible. On that site it mentions being on the register, carrying the card and writing it in your will if you have one.

I doubt any doctors would be willing to get in a fight about your organs though with a bunch of grieving relatives over your dead body, whether they have the right to take them willy-nilly or not
  • Options
    I can see why ur family are protective of u about this as they don't want nothing to happen to u but they seem to forget that wh st ur doing for someone else is saving a life. What more can u say then that! You have to try and talk to them again and say this is my body, I'm doing it for another human who dont deserve to end up dead cuz no one was too carting enough to help someone and I am aware of the implications so I know what I'm putting myself in for. They still don't like the idea and are argumentive about it then u have to go with what u decide cuz u still gonna go out and and do it anyway. Instead of talking to ur parents who don't understand or the doctor, talk to a good friend of urs who can maybe advice u what to do as friends can a little less conversational then family. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    I think legally all you can do is register someone as enduring power of attorney (or similar) that will be asked their opinion first and if they will follow your wishes then it should be fine.

I don't think being a foreign national makes a difference.