Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Worried about a weekender

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm going on a weekender with youthnet next weekend and I am so nervous. I actually feel sick with nerves. It's not just the meeting people (which I am very scared about) it's the fact that I will more then likely have a flashback at some point which I don't want to happen. I know it will though. I don't want to be the only one having some sort of melt down! How embarrassing would that be?! Help!!!

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi

I can reassure you everyone is absolutely lovely, and will do everything to make you feel ok. Also, they usually have a quiet space so if the activities are getting too much, or you need some time alone or whatever you can go to that place and take a break, they'll let you know where that is on the first morning.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
    Hey. I'm guessing you've been to a weekender before? What sort of activities do they do?

Yeah I have :) It depends entirely on why the weekender's happening, so you're probably best asking Alex about this one specifically. But there's usually lots of 'getting to know you' type games, lots of group work and creative stuff :)
    Okay :/

When I signed up for it I was really looking forward to it but now I just feel sick with nerves!

• JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Becki :wave:

Sorry to hear you're feeling so nervous. Being in a new place with new people can be pretty daunting, but we always try to make everyone feel welcome :)

You'll know some people there too. Me for example ;)

As Nina said, we usually have a chill out area where you can go if you need to get away for a moment. Maybe it'd be helpful to drop Alex a quick email? I'm sure she'd be happy to give you some more detail about the activities planned :)
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey BeckiBoo :wave:

Just thought I would let you know that I am going to be helping out on the Saturday so if you have any questions let me know (although Alex is best for activity specific questions).

As the others have mentioned we will have a quiet comfy area to take some time out if anyone feels they need it. There are lot's of breaks, snacks and we always spend some time at the beginning getting to know each other.

Looking forward to seeing you :)
    Thanks guys. Guess I'm just being daft, as per usual!
    That's another thing that I'm not particularly looking forward to - eating part I mean

• PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    It's not daft at all, meeting new people and going to a place you don't know can be really daunting!

When it comes to eating we know it can be tough for some people so we will leave the food in the kitchen for people to help themselves to. Again the quiet room can be used to eat in if people don't want to do so in front of everyone else. Or if there is something in particular you might want to eat (or not eat) just let Alex know.

We don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable so let us know how we can help to make the weekender enjoyable for you, that's the main reason we have them - to bring everyone together and give you guys the opportunity to meet other volunteers.:yippe:
    I don't think I'll be eating anything, sorry

That's another thing though, I applied for a volunteering place (think it's online community stregnthener ) but is that part of this?
    Sorry for all the questions haha

Yes it's part :)
    Okey dokey

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Becki,
    Sounds like there's a few things we need to go over with you before next weekend and all of these things should be discussed within the realm of your volunteering with us rather than on TheSite - that way we can make sure that your volunteer manager (Alex) is aware of how to support you best and you have all your questions answered. So, I'm going to close this thread and if you can drop Alex an email so she knows when's best to reach you then she can be in touch tomorrow.

Just for anyone who is reading and is thoroughly confused, weekenders are workshops we run with volunteers who support development of our services - a few people from the community volunteer with us and have attended in the past, but it's not some exclusive thing for certain members ;)

Any questions, feel free to drop one of the team a PM. :)
This discussion has been closed.