Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

Writing letters asking for work

Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary GuruPosts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in the process of writing letters to companies asking for work. But I'm a little out of touch of what to write. I've worked in a factory for 10 years and was made redundant in December.

Any suggestions?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SpinTires wrote: »
    I'm in the process of writing letters to companies asking for work. But I'm a little out of touch of what to write. I've worked in a factory for 10 years and was made redundant in December.

    Any suggestions?

    I think the best thing for you to do is job search and send off your CV to the company/place x
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree. I think that speculative approaches to companies in a scatter gun fashion, where you don't even have your own reasons for wanting to apply are unlikely to achieve much. Search for and apply for positions of interest, or if you want to do preemptive letters do so to places or positions that interest you enough that you can think of what to write for yourself.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there and thanks for posting your question.
    I would imagine that going through redundancy must have been really hard, especially after working somewhere for 10 years.
    However it's great you are thinking of your plan to apply for new jobs.
    Do you have a CV? If not, then you might want to think about writing one to put down on on paper all your experience and skills. This can help you be more focused when applying for a job. Check out theSite's article on How to write a cv.

    Responding to a job advert can give tailor your application to respond to exactly what/who they are looking for. However it can sometimes be rewarding to write to firms speculatively as they may not always advertise their roles (e.g. specialist roles that do not come up as regularly) or they may keep your details on file for future reference.
    Perhaps you can try a mixture of both applying to job adverts and a few speculative letters to boost your chances of finding a job?
    We have two articles on theSite about writing job application forms and cover letters that you might find useful.
    Good luck
    :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    L1ttleOne wrote: »
    Hi there and thanks for posting your question.
    I would imagine that going through redundancy must have been really hard, especially after working somewhere for 10 years.
    However it's great you are thinking of your plan to apply for new jobs.
    Do you have a CV? If not, then you might want to think about writing one to put down on on paper all your experience and skills. This can help you be more focused when applying for a job. Check out theSite's article on How to write a cv.

    Responding to a job advert can give tailor your application to respond to exactly what/who they are looking for. However it can sometimes be rewarding to write to firms speculatively as they may not always advertise their roles (e.g. specialist roles that do not come up as regularly) or they may keep your details on file for future reference.
    Perhaps you can try a mixture of both applying to job adverts and a few speculative letters to boost your chances of finding a job?
    We have two articles on theSite about writing job application forms and cover letters that you might find useful.
    Good luck
    :)

    Thanks for the reply. Just seen the replies lol.

    I don't need any help in writing my CV or filling application forms in.

    I looked at the 3rd link you gave. Some interesting points given but I do not agree with the 7th bullet saying "Sign off with ?Yours sincerely?." You should finish the cover letter off with 'Yours faithfully' as you do not know the person you are sending it to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member The Mix Honorary Guru Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SpinTires wrote: »
    I do not agree with the 7th bullet saying "Sign off with ?Yours sincerely?." You should finish the cover letter off with 'Yours faithfully' as you do not know the person you are sending it to.

    I expect they've written the article with the intent that you discover the name of the person you're writing to, rather than using Dear Sir/Madam.

    But yes, technically you are correct, if you don't know the name.
Sign In or Register to comment.