Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I need a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really need a job for the summer. I have applied to every single job I have seen and none of them have got back to me. Dont get me wrong I knew that it would take a long time to find a job but I have been applying for nearly a year!
Any idea what I should do

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey lovely

I feel your pain here I really do, I had applied to over 300 jobs, but in all honestly you will find one.

There is a few things that I can suggest however! Your CV make it the best that you can, you can also tweek it a little for different jobs if you feel like it fits the job role. Also rather than posting your CV out to places it might be an idea to hand them in, in person, if that makes sence?

The thing is however, summer jobs now will be extremely hard to get, summer jobs are normally advertised around Easter time, so if possible keep your eye out then, however you may get someone who has quit their job and you could replace them.

Smaller business however may not make their jobs public so it may always be worth while calling into them.

Hope this helps a little bit. :)
    Yes, go round town being smily and polite wearing something vaguely nice with a bunch of CVs (make sure they're clear, concise and have important things like your phone number on). Advertise things that make a difference, like a maths GCSE, knowledge of Microsoft Excel, experience in retail or kitchen work etc. If you don't have any actual experience try and big up something like 'cleaning your granny's house a couple of times' as 'voluntary housekeeping experience for the elderly'. So long as you don't actually lie about anything, it's fine to be really enthusiastic about what you've done in the past.

When you're there, ask to speak to the manager or owner and then go from there. Also if they say they'll get back to you soon, but still haven't after a week or so, ring them, or go back in. Don't just give up if you don't hear anything back.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Meggles.

As others have said, bars, cafes etc are the best bet - basically try to think about anywhere that gets genuinely busier in the summer, they are the ones who need extra pairs of hands for that time only. Although, as SuzyG said, many do advertise around Easter, and many also recruit through word of mouth/recommendation, is it only summer you're available? Would you be available in Easter holidays, Christmas holidays etc too? This might help you in your search as the place would know you would come back and so it's worth their time training you up.

The only other thing is are you applying for anything in particular or a variety? And are you changing your CV/covering letter each time? With the job market being so tough it seems people do need to say why they want that job, not just any job. Does that make sense?

There is also a link here for a bit more help from TheSite.
    BeckiBoo
    It might be a good idea to write letters (and include your CV) to companies asking if they have any work, even if they don't/haven't advertised anywhere.