Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Five Day Independence Day Challenge

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Howdy peeps :wave:

For those of you who've been taking part in the self-esteem challenge, this may seem familiar ;)

This is a micro version giving you just five days to get stuck in...

We want to celebrate and help you gain independence (be that going to university, managing your own money or even getting your tongue pierced!) You can also join in the conversation over on Twitter for a chance to win work experience with our friends at KissFM.

So, the purpose of this challenge is to help you:

Celebrate and recognize your current independence

Figure out if there are ways you can be more independent :chin:

image.jpg

****The task****

Submit your answers to the list below one day at a time from today (Monday) through to Friday 4th July. However, if you miss a day, just come back and catch-up! :)

Day 1: A situation you dealt with that was outside of your comfort zone

Day 2: Something you took the lead in organising OR something you played a big role in helping to organise

Day 3: Something you paid for that you consider a symbol of your independence

Day 4: A decision you made recently that you feel defines your independence

Day 5: A change you?re making, or could make, to help you be more independent

Everyone who submits an answer for all five days by midnight on Friday 4th July will be entered into a prize draw to win one of the following giveaways. Prizes up for grabs are:

2x Wreck This Journals courtesy of our friends at Penguin

9781846144455H.jpg

A yoga starter kit and a pair of black silicone wrap bike lights - both thanks to the guys at Viking.

6724098_alt?id=T0keS0&fmt=png&fit=constrain,1&wid=280&hei=2073027574_alt?id=j6Res0&fmt=png&fit=constrain,1&wid=280&hei=208

So, to recap, reply to this thread with an answer to the questions one day at a time from now until Friday 4th July. :thumb:

P.S Don't forget to check out our wider Independence Day activity over on twitter and Facebook - follow #YourID2014

Happy posting :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oooo I LOVE this idea! :D right lets give this a go..... after lots of thought i think the time fairly recently when i was running an event along with 3 others for a church thing there was 30 young people and 5 other helpers to lead groups. Im year 11 and like most people find it really hard to lead there own age group so i decided id lead the yr 13s or the younger ones yr 7-9. however like most events things last minute changed and i ended up leading a group of 8 boys yr 11 and i was the only girl in this group. AHH my worse nightmare, 1) group of own age group 2) group of boys! but I kept calm and got through the end of the session stuff id planned and the head youth leader of my county was there (she knows bout my worry and fear) and she came over to me and said i dealt with that so well and i felt so happy after :D I proved to myself and everyone else i can do it, even if it was scary and embarassing and way out of my comfort zone. but i did make a new friend from this and since ive led a group of my own age group again and it went really well :)

sorry if this was long lol
  • Options

Lived with a German family for 10 days- was really scary, and they weren't the nicest family! but I survived and actually got better at German! :o
  • Options
    Hiii :wave:

Hmm :chin: I dont really know what you mean...But hmm I can NEVER say no to anyone but i said no to my social worker? Or hmm... i spoke to someone about EVERYTHING that happened in my life? that be one >.> Sorry if this is wrong.
  • Options
    SaraBob wrote: »
    Hiii :wave:

Hmm :chin: I dont really know what you mean...But hmm I can NEVER say no to anyone but i said no to my social worker? Or hmm... i spoke to someone about EVERYTHING that happened in my life? that be one >.> Sorry if this is wrong.

Not wrong, both things are valid :)
  • Options
    Okay cool!! thank you :) sorry.
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »

Lived with a German family for 10 days- was really scary, and they weren't the nicest family! but I survived and actually got better at German! :o

well done! I remember doing this for 7 days hated it always scary thing to do especially for 10 days
  • Options

Two come to mind - relocating to somewhere else in the country and starting again from close to nothing and presenting at national conferences.
  • Options
    *Bump*
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    not sure if this counts but...

went on the boat on my own on friday after the 'ferry from hell' on wednesday...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Day 1: Soon to be going on DofE, however, I also id did the NCS, which was something that took me out my comfort zone, as I had to deal with a new group of individuals who I had never met before, and go into an environment that seemed almost alien to me.

Through it, I build a good bond of friends, trust, and the ability to give things such as this ago in the future. Learning the ability to challenge myself.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Day 2, now being a qualified adult leader with GirlGuiding, I have had to arrange challenges for the girls to take part in, etc. I have also involved the girls in raising money for the unit, by looking at stalls during Christmas, or even sorting out trips for them to go out on, for example, going to Liverpool, and seeing the festival of food.
  • Options
    Day 1:

On the weekend I was out with MrRiot and friends when a guy came up to me and a friend and touched her up and tried to spike my drink. I literally had to stand up (and wave my stick at him) against him and tell him to do one or I'll get security the throw him out. He didn't see what he did wrong but I felt much better that I stood up to him and actually told him he was a misogynistic rat who deserves to live a life alone.
  • Options
    Day 2: Something you took the lead in organising OR something you played a big role in helping to organise

My most recent ballet show- me and the other student teacher ran all the rehearsals, helped with costumes, went to visit the theatre to talk to them and taught most of the dances
  • Options

Hmm I dont know really hmm Oohhh i did help out with the college open day does that count? I help organise it and i showeed people around the college and told them different things about the college ^.^
  • Options
    day 2
    tough one!
    organizing and helping run social action stuff in a local community with some others such as car washing, cake sales, football on the park and other things. it was fun but hard as it was run for 10 other young people and then got many other young people in the community involved :)

ps, loving reading everyone elses :D
  • Options
    Sarah wrote: »

Hmm I dont know really hmm Oohhh i did help out with the college open day does that count? I help organise it and i showeed people around the college and told them different things about the college ^.^

Yep, once again, that counts :)
  • Options

I was part of two society committees at university. I guess to some extent, being on placement now; I'm expected to lead a class for an hour everyday. Yesterday I did numeracy and music, today literacy and SEAL.
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru

I have spoken to my teachers about stressing over the coursework, and I hate talking to teachers! :)
  • Options

I played a big role in helping to organise my team's campaign for the challenge, in which we then took to the market stalls in Ashton and spoke to people about local food banks.
  • Options

Everything! Years ago when I paid my first electricity bill I remember thinking "right, I'm an adult now!"
  • Options

My first holiday away without parents
  • Options

I paid for the trip with The Challenge :)
  • Options

My first university's rock society was my baby and I put blood sweat and tears into making it work. We had mini festivals, went on group gig trips, did reviews of albums and it was great - it made what was otherwise a very difficult time for me that little bit more enjoyable!
  • Options

Attachment not found.

These now battered DMs were the first thing I bought with savings I had from working whilst at college so I had a pair of decent shoes to last me through uni. I graduated nearly 4 years ago and they're still going strong (albeit with a new heel and sole)!
  • Options

The first time i brought my own food ^_^
  • Options
    Half way through, but still plenty of time to catch up! :)

Really enjoying all your responses.
  • Options
    Day 3
    Er this Is tough one for me! I would say a stamp and envelope etc to send a letter cause for me this was big step. But the true one would be paying- fundraising for trip to Tanzania last summer as it made me feel independent as I did it myself :)
  • Options

Choosing uni accommodation and getting ready to move out
  • Options

I've decided to do some volunteer work at my last work placement by my self (if that counts)
  • Options
    Day 4 (what they all said it is) lol

ooo i actually have one! :O Deciding to get baptized and become a christian myself despite my family being against the idea. for me is my greatest bit of independence is my faith :)