Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Suarez - to bite and be banned

AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
So, Luis Suarez after his third time biting a player (yes THIRD time!) during a football match, whilst playing for Uruguay, has been banned for 9 matches for Uruguay and a four-month ban from all football related activity.

What do you all think of this punishment?

Is this fair on Suarez and the player that he bit? Is the 9 match ban for Uruguay just?

What about this four-month ban from all football related activity? This means he won't be able to play for his club side (Liverpool) until 1st November (which is more than 9 games), or even enter a football stadium whilst a match is being played.

What do we all think of this? Things have got a bit heated here in the office.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Liverpool are shite anyway :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good. He needs to be punished. He shouldn't be able to do something like this and expect to get away with it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Any player who's being violent for no other reason than the game itself should be banned permanently.
    he deffo needs a ban! Its wrong for anyone to bite anyone especially on tv in front of millions and its not the first time either. Its wrong for all people to do it
    :o No they not!!! :p liverpool are good!! :p
    To be honest i think he needs to be kicked off the team. Because no one knows that he go back to doing it again -.-
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Interesting -

So, it sounds like you all think the ban he received, if anything, is a little too lenient?

Do you think that by placing these young men, often from very impoverished backgrounds, under so much pressure and all the trappings that come with being a professional footballer, with such a meteoric rise to riches, things like this are just part of the game?

Should more be done to support the welfare of footballers from a young age (those that do and don't make it to the top), to stop these kind of outbursts of violence occurring?
    I think yeh to all 3 lol!

point two though it needs sorting, as its wrong to do anything like that and no doubt most of them see it as a 'get out' kind of thing so point 3 is a deffo! There needs to be more help and support for the welfare of those at the top, and maybe some of the footballers getting a lesson on how to spend money? i mean if you come from a impoverished background you should help your family and your area out. i dunno how many footballers do, but also think they get payed WAY TO MUCH!
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I think that's a really nice reaction rosebud. I think a lot of footballers do look after and support a lot of people in their family and communities.

I just wonder if that also adds to the stress?

They've not had any sort of natural environment that we can relate to, since they were 7/8 years old, they were told they might make it as professional footballers, their families eyes probably flashing with dollar signs, their son being pawned around the world to clubs and courted like pieces of meat. Then they have to go out and play, and play better and better than anybody else on the pitch. Only then will they maybe get the money they've been promised - there's thousands that fall by the wayside because of girls, drink, drugs, family problems - whatever.

It's an inordinate amount of stress - Luis Suarez was operated on, in a wheelchair, told the hopes of a nation rested on his shoulders, in front of a billion people, thousands in the stadium (all within the last three weeks)...and went and scored two gorals versus England - he then goes and bites an Italian on the shoulder.

These are extraordinary things that we have no possible understanding of. What that kind of stuff does to your mental state is very difficult to quantify.

I think we don't put enough emphasis on education of young footballers - it's just about football - in Germany, young players are required to complete the equivalent of their A-Levels alongside their football training, and a larger emphasis is put on their personal wellbeing than in this country. That also helps those players who eventually won't make the grade.

I also don't think you can blame footballers for how much they are paid - it's market value, that's how capitalism works. If we stopped watching football, stopped reading about, stopped going to games, stopped buying merchandise, stopped our Sky Sports subscription, the pay would decrease, because the interest wouldn't be there, we are all responsible for how much they are being paid.
    The thing that concerns me the most is that children look up to footballers and there's the risk that they will mimic his behaviour. A play fight in a friendly football game over a lunch time can very quickly get out of hand if someone pretends to be Suarez and attempts to bite another child. As a footballer Suarez has been banned for four months and probably has enough money to now live off. However if a child bites another child, they're looking at a fixed exclusion and the potential of wrecking their education, they won't have the safety cushion of obscene monetary value to get them through life post exclusion.

Rightly or wrongly, Suarez is a role model, he needs to wise up and stop acting like an angry, petulant toddler.
    Have to agree with everything you've said here i guess your right about the money however i do feel the football association needs to change how much there payed as ultimately its what causes young boys to take up football at times even if they dont enjoy it.
    I guess they need to complete education as this is important but also football career never lasts forever after all and you need to sometimes fall back on your education for some things. However i believe they should get a slightly altered education as like you said so many fall into the traps of drugs and drink etc and money spending also a big problem. I feel they should be taught more about these and dangers, what do you think?

I didnt know the big about suarez what you just said so thats interesting! and deffo would have played a big part on it and he must have been under such stress and and he let it out in anger in a way i guess which resulted in biting another player.
    ella! wrote: »
    The thing that concerns me the most is that children look up to footballers and there's the risk that they will mimic his behaviour. A play fight in a friendly football game over a lunch time can very quickly get out of hand if someone pretends to be Suarez and attempts to bite another child. As a footballer Suarez has been banned for four months and probably has enough money to now live off. However if a child bites another child, they're looking at a fixed exclusion and the potential of wrecking their education, they won't have the safety cushion of obscene monetary value to get them through life post exclusion.

Rightly or wrongly, Suarez is a role model, he needs to wise up and stop acting like an angry, petulant toddler.

I agree totally! Thats my point exactly, fair enough its stressful being a footballer sometimes, but its stressful being a nurse, teacher, carer, shop assistance, but these people DO not do these things! Fair enough they dont have the whole nation or world watching there every move, but ultimately its wrong and people look up to everyone, everyone is a role model to someone else in a way i guess.
    I agree with what everyone has said on this notice board about him getting sacked. I don't know what makes him do that. Any other behaviour would be looked into deeper and that person would be fired but why is it different for him? You can't do that kind of behaviour where ever u are or who ur with. Rosebud had a point when she said that these people are looked up as role models. They certainly are and don't see why they are any different to us normal people.