Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What should you learn in sex education?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment sex education in schools only needs to cover the bare minimum of the biological side of sex and not some of the issues young people have to face every day. This article in the Guardian newspaper looks at how sex and relationship education is taught at a school and whether our sex education leaves young people ready and fully armed with the information they need to know to have a loving and respectful relationship.

The use of smart phones, the internet and social media got me thinking about the different pressures young people have to face now and whether sex education is good enough.

What do you think? Is sex education at schools good enough? What topics should it cover?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, this is a tough topic. While I don't think sex ed is bad at the moment (our sex ed teacher was wicked with it), I do think they should be made to cover abuse (in all its forms). If young people were maybe a little more aware of it, they may be more prepared to make an important judgement call should they ever need to. It could make the difference of a lifetime for some people out there.
  • Options
    In my opinion, it needs to like not be based so much around heterosexuality and include other sexualities because it's more than likely that someone in that class identifies as something other than heterosexual so they end up essentially not being taught the things that they need/want to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    At my old high school, sixth form students were expected to run workshops for lower school pupils about sex ed and relationships. Things could have changed now and there could be a different approach, but it never seemed appropriate for 16/17 year old to be teaching a 12 year old sex ed. The school argued that students could relate to someone better if they were a similar age, but sex ed always had connotations of being a doss lesson, even before students taught it, so that didn't help.

Too much is missed out, when I was in primary I remember being shown a tampon, but not told what it was for. Thankfully my mum was pretty up on sex ed stuff but not everyone was in that position and I know there were a couple of girls really confused about how dropping a tampon in a mug of water could ever help them "when things change". And yes, that was how puberty was referred to :eek: :banghead:
  • Options
    My sex ed was pretty good, we had the tampon thing and the teachers had a tug of war with it to show that the string is not going to break off while it's inside you. There was also the condom on the banana etc but it was mostly based on the process of sex and reproduction and periods and body changes. I think kids should also be being taught along the subject of self esteem, respect. I don't if it's just being on this site bu it seems that along of teenagers have low self esteem nowadays
  • Options
    I agree with tues, more needs to be taught about non-heteronormative sex and more about relationships and abuse within relationships
  • Options
    Everything. Not just the biological purpose and the icky stuff like STDs. Just the whole thing that adults also know about. That sex is something people do for fun more than for recreation. Not just purpose and effect, also the flavor around it. Also things the sexual arousal does not necessitate the desire for sex. Things like that you are not obliged to have sex with someone you had sex before, etc. Things like you always draw the line where you want. For example if you are making out with someone and s/he wants more and throws a fit, because you are "leading them on" then send them on their way right away. Just painting a natural and comfortable picture of sex and not a mystic, weird, veiled one, so people feel more secure about their decisions. Also for the love of god, don't use a damn banana for the lesson of condom usage. Why not just use a realistic silicon penis mold?

Actually their is a youtube personality called Laci Green. She talks about all matter sexual and not entirely sexual (like nudity in domestic and public nudity on for example nude beaches) in a very convincing manner that makes you feel curious about engaging in those topics instead of being wary. I post her channel here, maybe that gives some people insight about how I feel a sex Ed should be loosely structured. I find her talk about consent is what every teenager should somehow in this form and style get presented.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lacigreen
  • Options
    I think we only learnt about the biological side of things. Nothing about relationships, which I think is important. And I don't think we ever learnt about contraception.
  • Options
    I honestly think we learnt about almost everything at my old school and the teacher was really good.
  • Options
    This is a great topic - and really interesting to see everyone's views on it. :)

It seems to be that sex education is taught very much from the biological and non-emotive stance. From what I can remember - it's very much factual based: "This is what happens - this is how you can stop getting pregnant or catching STI's, etc".

I think there are classes called PSE (personal social education) that are meant to cover off non-curricular subjects, so things like relationships. From what I recall, no one seemed to take any of these subjects seriously, and the classes just ended up being a waste of time with nothing much being discussed (they might even have been only 20mins long anyway). It didn't seem like the best place to be discussing personal things - with all your classmates sat around listening to you - you may also not be too comfortable asking questions in front of your peers - especially the ones you don't know too well.

There should be a way of adding another dimensions to sex education - so that people have the chance to ask about what worries/concerns them in a non-judgmental space - like on here :)
  • Options
    I can't recall any sex ed (it may have happened but clearly didn't make any impression on me) until we were about 15 and then our head of year got all the girls in my year together and told us that she'd been hearing rumours that we were acting like 'trollops' and we wouldn't be respected if we carried on. Then the summer we left school the school nurse gave us instructions on how to put a condom on a dildo. It was a bit late given that the vast majority of us had already started having sex, with or without condoms.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Just painting a natural and comfortable picture of sex and not a mystic, weird, veiled one, so people feel more secure about their decisions.

This. I think they want to teach kids that you should only do it with the right person and not sleep around but i think kids should know that its ok to sleep with a few people and be a bit promiscuous as long as theyre safe.
  • Options
    I wanna echo what people have said - there should be more focus on the emotive side of things. Mainly self esteem, respect, anything that isn't so biological about the whole thing. That's what people have a hard time getting to grips with I think. But, having said that, maybe there are some things that are best learned, and not taught. I think it's also very difficult to convey a realistic image of sex to a group of secondary school students.

A note on what Tues said - our classes did cover a lot of non-heterosexual stuff which I thought was really good. We also had sessions were we could write things anonymously in to a box that the teacher then answered. But like a lot of classes like sex ed/PSE, a lot of people didn't take them seriously. Which is a shame when there are people there who really want to make the most of lessons like that.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Everything. Not just the biological purpose and the icky stuff like STDs. Just the whole thing that adults also know about. That sex is something people do for fun more than for recreation. Not just purpose and effect, also the flavor around it.

This reminds me of an article I read not too long ago: What If We Admitted to Children That Sex Is Primarily About Pleasure?

It's kind of long, but worth a full read if you have the time. For those that don't, the tl;dr is:
    I found myself hoping the gym teacher wasn't going to teach in code. Children spent so much of their energy learning not just the native language of their parents, but their coded language, too. I remember when the movie Juno was out, and a sudden rash of curiosity broke out among my son's class about what "accidentally pregnant" meant.

I realized why my son was confused. He was thinking "accidentally getting pregnant" was like accidentally burning yourself because you didn't realize the stove was on. "Sweetie," I explained, "most of the time that people have sex, they're not having it to have a baby. They're having it because it feels good. So you can get accidentally pregnant if you're having sex for pleasure and you don't use effective birth control."

He looked shocked. Apparently I had forgotten to mention that sex was not just for making babies.
  • Options
    James wrote: »
    This reminds me of an article I read not too long ago: What If We Admitted to Children That Sex Is Primarily About Pleasure?

That's an interesting read...
  • Options

It's kind of long, but worth a full read if you have the time. For those that don't, the tl;dr is:

There is just no downside to it. Studies (yea I am not going to look for them now, so believe or die) have shown that knowing much about sex, demystifying sex, knowing sex is also there for pleasure and giving a positive outlook on sex does not make teenagers have sex earlier.

I want to create an atmosphere for my own children one day that if they - lets conjure up a hypothetical situation - have a gf or bf by the age of lets say 14 (its the age of consent here anyway) and they would feel absolutely free and comfortable to approach me (and/or hopefully my partner) to tell me they plan to have sex with their partner so I can provide a safe environment for them (as opposed to they have to sneak behind my back about it). They would know the ins and outs of safe sex by then, can say no if the whole thing suddenly grows over their head and feel comfortable with their sexuality that they also can communicate with their partners in a non-misunderstanding fashion. They can come for advice anytime and rather learn new things than being embarrassed about asking.

/edit: Incidentally I opened the article after I wrote my post and I realized I already read it before and formed some of my opinions because of that article.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster

That is a really good piece James.

I didn't learn anything about relationships or sex being pleasurable at school, but I did learn how to construct a representation of the female reproductive system using a pear, paperclips and plums! (Interestingly, I don't think we ever learned about the pleasure parts for women).
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I can't recall any sex ed (it may have happened but clearly didn't make any impression on me) until we were about 15 and then our head of year got all the girls in my year together and told us that she'd been hearing rumours that we were acting like 'trollops' and we wouldn't be respected if we carried on. Then the summer we left school the school nurse gave us instructions on how to put a condom on a dildo. It was a bit late given that the vast majority of us had already started having sex, with or without condoms.

This is something I never understood. I missed sex ed in year 8 due to illness and we had sex ed in year 11. Why? Many were 16 at the time and I'm sure many 15 year olds had already started having sex.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    they should teach some of the 'lines' or 'actions' creeps might use, teach them saftey and 'maybe does not mean yes'
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''