Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When to listen to other people about your relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The previous thread about age gaps in this section got me thinking. Do other peoples' opinions matter in your relationship - if so, when? Should you judge your relationship purely based on your own opinion? Are there any exceptions?

Comments

• Options
    MikeS wrote: »
    The previous thread about age gaps in this section got me thinking. Do other peoples' opinions matter in your relationship - if so, when? Should you judge your relationship purely based on your own opinion? Are there any exceptions?

Depends on the person. Of course people can give valuable input about a relationship they are not in. For example, people in a relationship often times endure too much abuse until they start asking themselves questions, or don't even see if a "loved one" abuses them, mentally. An outside observer can objectively pick that up and warn the victim.

Naturally you should not take every "advice", or lets call it opinion about your relationship. Some people might see you and your partner as a bad match, but only you can really know and feel if you are happy within the relationship.

Basically I think you should do your own thing. Nobody else should live your life for you, but people from the outside can help you see things you wouldn't notice yourself.
  • Options
    I agree with the previous person who wrote that people shouldn't judge in a relationship and let them do there own thing and don't matter what people think. That is very true. I think age can play a part in a relationship with the other person being twice their age and think when u look at it u know that u can't wee it working out for that reason. Everyone should be happy no matter what but there should boundaries set in place when u know that the couple shouldn't be together only on the fact that they are twice their age and it's wrong to get into a relationship like that. The most important aspects of a relationship is trust, honesty, nice personality, being loyal to one another and spending time with them as much as u can. That's what should happen. Must people have these set in place already but sometimes we seem to forget about these and that's when the relationship starts having problems down the line. You should get out of a relationship if u don't feel its right as ur only gonna end up hurting urself in the end for not being honest in the first place with ur partner.