Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Live chat for info and support on Eating Disorders: Wednesday 25th June, 7-8pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Just giving you all a heads up that on Wednesday 25th June from 7-8pm we will be joined in live chat by Ed from the charity beat. Beat provide a helpline as well as online support for both adults and young people who need support and information relating to an eating disorder, including sufferers, carers and professionals too.

This chat is a chance to ask for advice, for example you might want to ask about options for support and paths to recovery, how to support a friend or someone you know with an eating disorder, how to work on your self esteem or how to open up to someone about how you feel etc. This chat isn't a chance to get a diagnosis.

A bit about Ed...

14411943355_40c0425a97_q.jpg
Ed's career started as a volunteer at Beat whilst studying at University. He was volunteering on the Helpline for about a year before accepting a permanent position on the Helpline. Since then, he has been working on developing both existing and new Helpline projects to support people who are either struggling with eating difficulties themselves, or who have a friend or relative experiencing these difficulties.

The main part of Ed's role on the Helpline is to provide a listening ear to anyone that calls or emails Beat?s Helpline team. The Helpline can provide a place to talk about a situation with someone who is non-judgemental and understanding; whilst providing information on support available.

In his spare time, Ed can often be found on the Tennis court and has a keen interest in following/playing sports in general.?

How will the chat work?

No sign up for this chat, just come along with your questions and Ed will be on hand to offer some support as well as practical advice.

The chat will be moderated which means questions will be held in a queue and answered one by one.

We also welcome you all to join in with your own support and advice for people asking questions :yes:

Guidelines

Same as the boards for this topic:
We promote healthy eating at TheSite.org, but not obsessive dieting (especially 'miracle', fad or crash diets), so no diet stuff please. Also, try to avoid posting details about your specific weight or calorie intake; it can lead to other users comparing themselves when things like height and age will always need to be taken into account.

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is happening THIS Wednesday folks (25th) :)
    you mean the 25th? today is the 23rd!
    rosebud wrote: »
    you mean the 25th? today is the 23rd!

Haha yes I do.. Now edited ^^

*engages post holiday brain*
    This isn't supposed to sound awful but I don't feel comfortable talking to men about my problems so probably wont come to this :\ He is probably really nice but I just can't
    Sorry if this sounds awful
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    This isn't supposed to sound awful but I don't feel comfortable talking to men about my problems so probably wont come to this :\

JPick (James) is a man and you talk to him.. there are other men on the boards that see your threads..
    This isn't supposed to sound awful but I don't feel comfortable talking to men about my problems so probably wont come to this :\ He is probably really nice but I just can't
    Sorry if this sounds awful

Another option would be to come and observe the chat too as you may still find it really useful and then see how you feel about asking a question. It's fine if you don't want to :)
    Is normal chat not happening then?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    JPick (James) is a man and you talk to him.. there are other men on the boards that see your threads..

This. Your choice whether you choose to come or not to a chat, no need for reasons :heart:

Normal chats 8-10, not 7-8. They often do support chat after doing 'special' chats.
    I will be at the normal chat between 8-10pm.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster

Normal support chat is happening today, straight after this chat :)
    Wish I could come to this :( but the fact I have no laptop or phone means I can't hope it goes well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    rosebud wrote: »
    Wish I could come to this :( but the fact I have no laptop or phone means I can't hope it goes well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sorry you can't make it rosebud.

If you have a question you'd like to ask you can PM it to me and if we have time we can ask Ed on your behalf and I can PM you his response :)
    Hey folks - we're just about to kick off. Ed from beat has just arrived :)