Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mental health in the media- research project

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heyy lovely siters!

Another sociology project for you guys to help me with! :)

I'm looking for experiences and opinions on the portrayal of mental illness in the mass media.

Some questions to have a think about (but please feel free to stray away from these specifically if there's more you want to say or these aren't relevant to you).

- Have you ever been influenced to think or do something (regarding mental health) by the media?
- What do you think of music videos like Perfect by Pink that include images relating to self harm? (Trigger warning for this vid)
- Do you think that the media (music industry, TV, film etc) have an effect on people with eating disorders? And if so, how?
- How is mental illness discussed and looked at in the media you view? Do you think the media talk realistically about it?
- If you have experienced mental illness, do you think society as a whole is understanding? Do you think media has any effect on society's opinion?

Please say in your post if you do not give me permission to anonymously quote you in my research project (it's only going to be used in class, but I understand this is a very personal subject and some people may not want the things they say to be included in the project specifically.)

Thank you (and thanks Jo7 for giving me permission to post) :heart:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    - Have you ever been influenced to think or do something (regarding mental health) by the media? I've been influenced to make corset with charities such as mind/time to change and the blurt foundation as they were featured in an article.

- What do you think of music videos like Perfect by Pink that include images relating to self harm? (Trigger warning for this vid)
    I think it's incredibly irresponsible of the producer and the artist to do that without a trigger warning. And tbh, if it adds nothing, if it not an important part of the narrative then why have it there in the first place??

- Do you think that the media (music industry, TV, film etc) have an effect on people with eating disorders? And if so, how? They portray an image which isn't attainable for the vast majority of the public. I'd quite like to see advertisers have more social responsibility. With the media as a whole I think we need to incorporate giving kids almost like a mental health safety net against what is and isn't achievable and healthy views from the media into PSHE lessons. It doesn't just affect people with eating disorders but those with body dymorphia, and I think upon young people's developing perceptions of self. It's very difficult trying to work out what is and isn't like you and what is and isn't achievable or a future goal to aim for.

- How is mental illness discussed and looked at in the media you view? Do you think the media talk realistically about it?
    I think on the whole, mental health is either viewed as a subject to be pitying of or a subject that's not something that everyone needs to have a concern over - like you would your weight. Or when you get people who have committed crimes because of a untreated mental health issue then they are demonised before anyone suggests that it could have been a failing of the system.

- If you have experienced mental illness, do you think society as a whole is understanding? Do you think media has any effect on society's opinion?
    In a word - no. People still seem to think PTSD is something only soldiers and those in car accidents get and that it's passing not a (potentially) life-long issue. People still haven't got that everyone has mental health and everyone could have a mental health issue at any time - like you could fall over and break a leg at any time. I think the media still sensationalises mental health, and they rarely actually present a realistic picture of life with mental health issues or mental health treatments or services (with the exception being the lack of beds across the country).
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your response Miss Riot, very grateful for all the detail! :)
  • Options
    I don't think I can answer all the questions; but here's my view on things:
    - as a whole, I don't think society has an understanding. I mean, you get comments like "just pull yourself together" and then there's the view (someone did actually say this me) that we all should be locked up for other peoples safety. Yet, we're more likely to hurt ourselves than we are others. And if you look at murder stats, I don't think they're that high for people with mental illness, compared to people who don't have (a diagnosed, at least) mental illness.

I actually do think the media do play a big part in this.
  • Options
    -Do you think that the media (music industry, TV, film etc) have an effect on people with eating disorders? And if so, how?
    Yes. I'm not sure who crazes such as the thigh gap, collar bone and the latest bikini bridge started, but I do know that they are escalated heavily by the media, by showing celebrities, with so called "perfect" bodies and shaming people for having "imperfections" or heaven forbid cellulite. It adds so much pressure for people, in particular young girls to look a certain way and it's damaging. Not enough to done to celebrate real bodies and real women. Similarly, I think the media is having an impact on the way young men view their bodies and there's also the danger of some serious damage being done to obtain the perfect muscular body.

Eating disorders are extremely competitive, you get trapped in the cycle and automatically compare your body to everyone else's. By promoting size 0 or other fads, young people are at risk.

Aside from your questions, I think there are some mental health conditions which are very badly represented by the media, thus increasing the stigma. BPD or other types of personality disorder come to mind straight way, along with schizophrenia because of the links to news stories such as school shootings in the USA, for instance. Yes, mental illness can play a role, but that does not mean that every person with schizophrenia will go on a gun rampage, for does it mean that every person with BDP is just an attention seeker. I recently read somewhere (I will try and find the link later) that people who suffer from psychosis are just very angry and evil people. I was pretty shocked when I read it, and it could just be me who thinks this, but there's a difference between a psychopath and someone who suffers from psychosis and again, just because you experience psychotic episodes, it does not mean that you are an evil person, likely to abuse or hurt anyone near by. If anything, it's the opposite, the sufferer [if that's the right word] if the most vulnerable and more likely to be hurt because of their own actions.
  • Options
    What do you think of music videos that include images relating to self harm To be honest I don't think they should be allowed to be used because as you rightly put it may be triggering to others. There are rules on websites such as this one and Childline that make it clear that things that could be triggering to others should be brought up sensitively or warn others it may be triggering, so why isn't it the same for other parts of media too? I also feel that music should be a way of being able to get away from that mind-set and take you to 'another world' however if the song have a passive message of self harm, it wont be helpful for others.

Do you think the media have an effect on people with eating disorders This is one that I can answer from a personal point of view. Although I wouldn't class myself as having an eating disorder, I would say I was very cautious of getting fat. I would like to have a thigh gap and a flat stomach etc. This is partly through the media. People all across the world see people in the media with this perfect body. If these people are on the TV they have most probably been personally picked because of their appearance. But if they are in printed media like magazines then it is very likely that those photos have been photo shopped. However, when I see these images or people, I don't think like that. I only concentrate on being like that person. If I am totally honest, the only way I would think about getting to this shape and size would be to stop eating (I know its not healthy and I am most certainly not promoting it). So yes, in answer to your question the media has a massive influence over those with eating disorders

Sorry I couldn't answer the other questions and sorry if I have gone into too much detail. But once I start writing about stuff like this I can't stop haha

Always happy to help

Sorry
  • Options
    Hi Becki

The media and music videos have an influence on everyone. Anything that people see or hear always have an effect on others, and it usually effects a persons mental state. That's why they placed age restrictions on violence. Sometimes though people can be naïve in thinking that watching 'Supersize and superskinny' will not have any detrimental effect on their health. I think that should be an 15 or 18 program
  • Options
    The original poster is me not becki :wave: thank you all for your responses so far they're really helpful.
  • Options
    Just wanted to bump this and ask if anyone who hasn't experienced mental health issues has a respone? (Mods?) I want to be able to compare responses :)