Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Watch out for those scary night clubs...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/student-life/10860479/Young-people-pre-drink-out-of-fear-of-nightclubs.html :shocking:

No, but seriously, I was chatting to someone recently who said 'I don't do clubbing' and the reasoning was about there being too many people and it being overwhelming.

Do you think this is how most people feel?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't like the idea of clubbing because of the loud noises and the crowd of people. I remember when my ex and I got dragged to this pub one night and it's a popular pub that all of the younger people go to so they have a whole section set as a dance floor with tons of strobe lights and things, and they have the music on full blast. That was bad enough! I left and I'd never go again, and I honestly don't think I'd handle a club.

I do think a lot of people find clubs overwhelming for various different reasons so maybe that is one reason why people do drink beforehand but I also think a lot of the time there's peer pressure involved and people just want to see who can get wasted quickest.
    but I also think a lot of the time there's peer pressure involved and people just want to see who can get wasted quickest.

Completely agree with this, in particular with student club nights. Because of various events locally, my university has stepped up a drink awareness campaign but it doesn't stop people getting so drunk that they can't stand up before even getting into a club.

I very rarely go clubbing because of how overcrowded it gets and because for me being shoved around in a sweaty and confined space, like cattle, really is not my idea of fun. Take the drink away and it genuinely puzzles me how anyone can enjoy that :chin:
    I'm not a fan of clubbing, id much rather go to a pub or bar to chat and I don't like the music.

Having said that there are times when it feels so good to be in the middle of a crowded dance floor, drunk enough so everything and everyone is blanked out apart from the music and lights. Its a definate get away from it all and just enjoy the moment moment. I don't feel like I need this all the time but sometimes its nice to just ignore everything else.
    I wouldn't be able to cope in a club. Too much noise and too many people. Would rather go for a few quiet drinks at the pub.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Interesting... I wonder if there's anyone out there who enjoys clubbing completely sober...
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I read an article a while back about a chain of alcohol-free clubs in (I think) Norway. It had pretty good write ups!

Even in the UK, there seem to be more and more 'dry bars' around, serving mocktails etc. There's even a Guardian article about them! Seems like quite a nice idea.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Interesting... I wonder if there's anyone out there who enjoys clubbing completely sober...

University sports and societies here have to ensure there is at least one sober member from the committee if they go on a social which involves drinking.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ella! wrote: »
    University sports and societies here have to ensure there is at least one sober member from the committee if they go on a social which involves drinking.

That seems like a sensible idea, wonder if that person enjoys the sobriety or sees it as a chore?
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I quite like clubbing ... Sometimes it can be a bit much, but you're only young once :P
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    I don't go to most clubs. I'm queer and present quite masculine. I have received negative attention off men in both gay and straight clubs, so I stick to a few select venues.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    When I was younger and went raving and clubbing I wouldn't drink at all. I wouldn't stay completely sober because I'd usually take ecstasy once I was there, but I'd go to the club and begin the night sober.
    Weekender Offender 
    I only go out around town if I have to. And when we do I never drink before going out and don't drink much in clubs. I'm always too scared about whos lurking around. Plus I'm always the one that holding my friends' hair back whilst they're chucking their guts up which is always nice!