Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sexy selfies: is sexting a bad thing?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
sexting.jpg

This Daily Mail article cites a survey that estimates that almost 2/3 (61%) of British University students have sent sexy selfies to a partner.

(58% have received them. The missing 3% suggests that a reasonable proportion of people are sexting wrong numbers, which is concerning!)

The Daily Mail, as you might expect, finds this “shocking”, and implies that it’s a reflection of the loose moral attitudes of today’s young people.

A lot of talk about sexting focuses on the risks, and there’s a lot of good advice available about how to minimise them.

But, providing you’re safe (using the right technology, doing it with someone you trust, keeping your face out of it etc.), is sexting really a bad thing in a relationship? Is it another example of technology replacing face-to-face contact? Or is it something extra that can add some extra fun to a relationship, and maybe even enhance your sex life and bring you closer?

Would you be delighted or disgusted to receive a sexy selfie?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "Loose moral attitudes"? Lol.

Lots of people have gotten naked pictures from me. I really don't give a shit.
    What's between two consenting adults (or teenagers) is their business. It's neither good, nor bad. It just is. Of course everyone who sexts should have the presence of mind that whatever you virtually send anyone can potentially show up in any other place as well.

I do think though that "modern" technology (internet, smartphones) replaces or reduces face-to-face contact. I personally find it to be a bad thing, but I also think that there is ample opportunity to meet people face-to-face if you are fed up with living inside your smartphone, so each to their own.
    I seen it I get the mail :O socking
    Loose morals? Because half of the mail readership don't secretly go to swingers weekends and key parties with their middle aged neighbours!

If I want to send someone a pic of my tits/arse/phoof (and it's unlikely to shock them/they'd like to see them -and are of age) what's the issue??? Seriously it's no different people sharing sexy photos or sexy pin up drawings in the 50s ...times have changed people's attitudes need to as well!!
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Loose morals? Because half of the mail readership don't secretly go to swingers weekends and key parties with their middle aged neighbours!

If I want to send someone a pic of my tits/arse/phoof (and it's unlikely to shock them/they'd like to see them -and are of age) what's the issue??? Seriously it's no different people sharing sexy photos or sexy pin up drawings in the 50s ...times have changed people's attitudes need to as well!!

Haha - fair point :)

Just wondering, even though people could share things in the past, camera phones make it much easier/quicker to send photos of your naughty bits. Do you think that changes anything relationship-wise (for example you're more likely to share more sooner, or it's easier to get sexy when you're not together, or you have to have more trust of your partner etc), or is it really just more of the same in a different medium?