Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Student accommodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is the summer(July-August) generally too late to start looking for accommodation or are there still places available?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That would depend on the accommodation, wouldn't it? You'll only know for sure if you ask.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're talking about shared houses, then I don't think so. Student halls maybe...

At the very least you'll get school leavers who don't meet the requirements for their course, or people who decide not to come back after the summer.
    I think thats very late to leave. Me and my housemates were running out of options by May when i was at uni
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I think thats very late to leave. Me and my housemates were running out of options by May when i was at uni

But that's for a whole house. Single rooms are a lot easier to come by.
    Thats true i suppose, there will always be single rooms available to rent
    Single rooms are pretty easy to come by at any point, there are are always people who drop out. You'll usually find rooms in halls a few weeks into term too.
    However with universities letting in a lot more students since last year, due to the government's removal on caps on numbers of students, there's a lot more demand for halls than before. Lots of people at various universities got denied uni accommodation last year and had a mad panic looking for something in august/september...
    Ybe7 wrote: »
    Is the summer(July-August) generally too late to start looking for accommodation or are there still places available?

This depends on a number of factors.

Many universities guarantee student accommodation for first year students. However, you will most likely need to apply for this and there will be a deadline for applications (I know for some of the London universities that it is the end of this month). It would be best to try and get in touch with the accommodation/residencies office at your university to find out what your options are. Most university residencies offices will have a page on the university website.

If you are looking at going into a shared house (or even your own flat), then you probably have a bit more time, but it will depend on the location. In bigger cities there will probably be more rooms available and you may be able to find something quite late in the summer. However, in areas where there is a large amount of specifically student housing, you may want to look into securing something earlier as there will probably be more competition for rooms (everyone is looking to move in and out at the same time of year). To find out the situation where you are going, you could see if you can get in touch with any current 2nd/3rd year students and ask them what their experience of finding accommodation has been like.

From personal experience, I have found it is better to look sooner rather than later. That way you can look around a few places and take the time to decide where you would like to live, rather than having to take whatever is left just before term starts. It also means that you can relax over the summer knowing that your accommodation for the next year is sorted.