Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's the worst thing someone's ever said to you...?

*Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
...about your mental health issues?

Hey everyone :wave:

Not sure if you're aware, but it's Mental Health Awareness Week this week and this piece caught my eye.

Anxiety sufferers share the worst thing's people have said to them about their condition:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/13/anxiety-sufferers-priory-symptoms_n_5310217.html?ncid=newsletter-uk-lifestyle

I just thought it would be interesting to see what the worst things people have ever said to you if you experience any mental health problems? Then we can all join together in condemning their naivety/stupidity/general-meanness.

I can start it off with a story a friend of mine told me. She was getting a prescription filled for diazepam, and the pharmacist rolled her eyes and said: "Jeez, just have a glass of wine." The. Actual. Pharmacist. Outrageous Old Mad

Please do share your horror stories, if it's not too painful of course.

Holly

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's awful!

The worst thing that was said to me about that was something said by my ex I think, which I won't get into.

But, just as a moan, I absolutely hate it when some random person in the street uses that comment 'smile, it might never happen'. It's like piss off, you know nothing.
    I absolutely hate it when some random person in the street uses that comment 'smile, it might never happen'.

This!

I think the worst thing said to me was from my previous therapist, who told me that self harming made me "evil and brutal".
    My housemaster when I was about 14 and he found out about my self harming told me that 'one bad apple spoils the lot' and tried to get me kicked out of school to 'protect' the others.
    "Get over it"

Because it's that easy.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    'Grow the fuck up'
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Ergh, guys, these are all so awful. Not surprising though :(

How about we flip it? What's the best/nicest thing someone's ever said to you about your mental health?
    Well I got bullied when I was in school beause I suffer with mental health depression/ even when I was in care I got bullied with that (haha ur in care ur not with ur Famliey Iam) saying nasty things about my Famliey
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    'You have a easy life'

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    What's a nice smart girl like you doing working in a place like this?

It's probably sexist, and belittling but I was having a truly shit day at the time and the fact he called me nice AND smart absolutely made my day.
    'You're too young to be depressed.' - School Nurse

I've got a list as long as my arm
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    One doctor I saw once told me to pray to God - because that will help.

Also been told that I'm too young and pretty to be ill - newsflash, youth doesn't give you immunity.

finally - "you're too fat to have an ED". No comment.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    my manager said my mental health has turned me into a strong person and ill 'go a long way in life' :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    "You should be proud of yourself"

"You're a good person and you do good things".
    "You should be proud of yourself"

"You're a good person and you do good things".

True stuff.
    True stuff.

Ssh.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    What's a nice smart girl like you doing working in a place like this?

It's probably sexist, and belittling but I was having a truly shit day at the time and the fact he called me nice AND smart absolutely made my day.

That's lovely! :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''