Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Technology & Mental Health

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
I came across this article called '9 Ways Technology Affects Mental Health' and thought it might be worth sharing.

While it's probably worth reading the whole thing, the 9 ways it says technology can affect mental health are:

1. Sleep problems
2. Depression
3. Addiction
4. 24/7 stress
5. Fear of Missing out
6. Isolation
7. Incivility
8. Insecurity
9. Anxiety

That's a pretty heavy list! It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

Do you agree with any/all 9 things? Are there any positive effects that the article has missed?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :crazyeyes

I think I agree with some of them, not all, maybe about four of them. Addiction, fear of missing out, isolation and insecurity. I agree though, quite a heavy list and it really gets you thinking.
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    James wrote: »
    1. Sleep problems
    2. Depression
    3. Addiction
    4. 24/7 stress
    5. Fear of Missing out
    6. Isolation
    7. Incivility
    8. Insecurity
    9. Anxiety

Well I have problems with sleeping, I don't know if i have or not but I am currently feeling down alot, I have an addiction to Tumblr, I am constantly stressing which has lead to anxiety, I always feel like I'm missing out on the things that are constantly being posted on Tumblr, I often feel Isolated, I am insecure. Yay :(
  • Options
    That sounds pretty heavy Hann. Do you think a lot of those things are because of technology/the internet?
    You mentioned Tumblr a couple of times. Maybe it would be an interesting experiment to ban yourself from going on Tumblr for a day or two and see how you feel?
  • Options
    I don't know, but I do actually spend a lot of time on the internet. Oh wow well that will be a tough one, most people try to get away and fail. I will try from tomorrow :)
  • Options
    I know I don't end up sleeping until ridiculous hours of the morning because I always take my phone to bed with me and end up on the internet, more than likely on tumblr as well.
    It's also become apparent that I feel worse about myself and generally a lot more down when I am on tumblr because of a lot of the posts on there.
    I don't know about the others but I'd definitely say my sleeping and depression seem to be worse when I have 24/7 access to technology and the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Tues wrote: »
    I know I don't end up sleeping until ridiculous hours of the morning because I always take my phone to bed with me and end up on the internet, more than likely on tumblr as well.
    It's also become apparent that I feel worse about myself and generally a lot more down when I am on tumblr because of a lot of the posts on there.
    I don't know about the others but I'd definitely say my sleeping and depression seem to be worse when I have 24/7 access to technology and the internet.

Seriously, this weekend Tues try and avoid all of that. Turn your phone off, turn your computer off and try to have a weekend to yourself. I know recently that you've been stressing about other people most of the time and you've been trying to support them which is lovely of you and I'm sure they probably really appreciate that but you need to be taking care of yourself too. You've pointed out that you think you know what makes you feel worse and that's great so maybe just try to avoid it all, even if it's just the Saturday or the Sunday, it doesn't need to be the whole weekend.

I know you and I know you'll be thinking that you're not important but that's only your opinion and the fact is you're just as important. I can't make you believe that because I know how it feels and I know it's like you're opinions of yourself are the facts to you, so I'm just going off personal experience and I genuinely do think that a bit of you time is exactly what you need right now and it really could help a lot.
  • Options
    I think technology like anything else can end up being addictive (and I think it's about time that kids were taught in schools about healthy ways to work with tech to avoid mental and physical health issues) but there's so many ways that it can help mental health problems - keeping people in contact with the outside world if they have severe agoraphobia, online counselling, the huge array of apps available for anything rom mindfulness and meditation to self hypnosis for sleep. I think it's always about working out healthy habits for you.
  • Options
    Quite a few of you seem to be spending lots of time on the internet - especially tumblr (which can be totally addictive!) What do you think it is that's addictive about it? Like, does it feel there's a kind of pressure to be constantly up to date about everything, or is it something else?

In a chat recently, somebody showed us this interesting site called The Quiet Place Project. It's all about taking a break from social media, phone, notifications (tumblr) etc. Have a look!

Hann:
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

Tues: sounds like butterfly's set you a good challenge! As she said, it's always so important to look after yourself too - not just other people :)

Miss_Riot: That sounds like a sensible approach. I think you're right that there are loads of positives too and what you said about working out healthy habits for you is spot on. Easier said then done though maybe?
  • Options
    Seriously, this weekend Tues try and avoid all of that. Turn your phone off, turn your computer off and try to have a weekend to yourself. I know recently that you've been stressing about other people most of the time and you've been trying to support them which is lovely of you and I'm sure they probably really appreciate that but you need to be taking care of yourself too. You've pointed out that you think you know what makes you feel worse and that's great so maybe just try to avoid it all, even if it's just the Saturday or the Sunday, it doesn't need to be the whole weekend.

I know you and I know you'll be thinking that you're not important but that's only your opinion and the fact is you're just as important. I can't make you believe that because I know how it feels and I know it's like you're opinions of yourself are the facts to you, so I'm just going off personal experience and I genuinely do think that a bit of you time is exactly what you need right now and it really could help a lot.

It sounds silly I know but i don't really know how to look after myself.. It's so much easier looking after other people and trying to help them.. But when it comes to myself I'm completely lost.
    I'm working most of the day Sunday so I'll probably try it then because it'll be a lot easier, I'll probably come in chat though but then after that I'll turn my laptop off and have some me time..
    I'll definitely try it though lovely, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Hey James, first day went OK, now I'm just bored I need tumblr. I used the quiet place project but now I need something else. I'm also trying to cut down on the apps I use, so far going well.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    2 days without blogging on tumblr. Wow that was a toughie. I don't see a difference apart from being more bored...
  • Options
    Nice one Hann! It's not easy cutting things out like that.
    Did you find you got to sleep a bit earlier?
  • Options
    It made no difference... I did however have the worst night sleep on Sunday night and was extremely tired yesterday

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Hann. Hope you had a better night last night :)