Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

nightmares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heyy guys, just looking for some advice really!

I'm on strong antipsychotics which make me sleep when I take them. I have nightmares almost every night and a lot of the time I can't wake up because the meds have made me so drowsy. I often wake up sweating and crying with very vivid details of the nightmares. Some nights it's almost as if I continuly try to wake up and I can't. This is something my therapist and I are working to change but I was just looking for any experience in overcoming this situation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you doing before you go to bed? If you're on risperidone I had exactly the same side effects
    No I'm not. I've always had nightmares but due to the meds making me drowsy I don't wake up. I've been on these pills for a while but they're increasing all the time so it's even harder to wake up
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hey Broken-Angel

Sorry you're having such bad nightmares :(

Could you speak to the doctor who prescribed those drugs about the side effects and see if there are any alternatives?

You can also call Mind's infoline to talk about medication and possible alternatives - 0300 123 3393.

Let us know how it goes
    It isn't the medication causing the nightmares. The meds make me tired (which is half the point of them because I don't sleep) but it makes it more difficult to wakeup when I have a nightmare.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Sorry if that wasn't clear - I did read that you were getting the nightmares before the medication.

I was wondering more about if there was a change to the medication that might make things easier - for example a slightly lower dose that would help you sleep but me easier to wake up from, or an alternative sedative that didn't knock you out as much so you could wake up more easily when you need to?
    No I've been on 15 different meds, the current one is the only one that controls my psychosis and I need to be on a high dose or I'm really ill :( rubbish really!!
    You might not be able to get it but it they are nightmares related to past trauma then EMDR therapy might be helpful - they helped with a lot of my PTSD related issues.
    Thanks miss riot, some of them are some of them aren't. I'm in a bit of an awkward situation because I only have 11 months left under CAMHS so they don't want me starting anything new, I have my psychotherapist though and the next thing we're addressing is nightmares I think. I didn't take my pills last night and I slept for less than an hour and still had a nightmare so there's no point not taking them:(