Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Panicking about the CMHT

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wanted to know what a CMHT does and what exactly they see people for? I've heard that they discharge you if you don't engage and what I'm worried about is that they may rush you into it? This is because I have no idea what they intend to do yet. I have to wait and see. Not looking forward to it especially.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sonia,

They can see people for lots if different things.

They may discharge you if you don't engage. I have difficult it's engaging with them but they didn't discharge me, the psychriast tried to but the team lead wouldn't let him discharge me so they worked with me to find another psychriast and in the process of changing over and working with a cpn. They are aware I disengage but have said they will try to work with me as I have periods of disengaging then re engaging. You are best to air concerns with them at the start if you struggle with engaging and they should try to work with you and build up a good relationship.

Have you an assessment with cmht? What have they said so far?

Maybe you could take a list of questions or things you would like to ask them?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Hi BlondeLiz
    Thanks for your reply. There was a meeting between my psychologist and the CRT last week she then phoned me to tell me that I will have to see them. Do you think at any point they have rushed you to do things you cannot do? I know I have had problems with this in the past and then been discharged. Although my CRT and psychologist are working in two different locations and what makes me anxious is how they will treat me again. A few years ago once I was having an assessment under mental health teams they told me the possibility of having psychosis. Once I went to the appointment they said I didn't and needed to speak to psychology to best lead my quality of life for panic attacks. Then last year was horrible and I had a lot on. I then got assessed by psychology team and they thought I need intervening from cmht. I have my first appointment on May 7th. Although I don't know what will be said. I will be seeing the same psychiatrist as I did all those years ago. I hope that doesn't stop me from getting anywhere or I may ask for a new one. I've seen how people are tried to be reengaged in the community and it just seemed that it's done by force rather then you own pace. I'm not positive about the experience but I don't know what will happen? Do you know roughly how long you are seen before they discharge?
  • Options
    Hi

If you would like a different psych you can request one.

I wasn't really rushed in a way as therapy lists were 6 months and I waited that without any support no cpn or case worker I was left. I felt rushed into therapy at the time and got kicked off as I couldn't engage at the time as my mental health got worse. I was continually left for months without any support till eventually they listened to me and started taking it at my pace. My cpn now takes it at my pace and won't force me to talk to her or do what I don't want to and is always telling me if I need anything at all to ring her and if I start to disengage unless at risk she'll let me cope till I'm ready unless intervention is needed.

Being with cmht can vary from person to person, you would be best asking the cmht this as it depends on your current issues and how you manage them. I was with a previous cmht for 18-24 months and so far 18 months with this one but they can support you as long as you there is no limit of course service costs then come into it so dependent on the costs too and how much support they feel you need but you need to express to them what support you need or feel would help.

Cmht is mostly directly by you and you have to have an idea of what help or support is needed to help you become well. It gives them something to work with of course ask them what they have on offer

Try not to worry and be as open as you can :)

• Options
    Thanks BlondeLiz. I have my appointment tomorrow with the CMHT. Very nervous just going to see how it goes and will come back with what happens here afterwards.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow just be as open as you can and be honest :)

They can't help if you don't give them te full picture, it'll be ok they are there to help you :)

Let us know how it goes *hugs*