Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off Meds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on Quetiapine for the past 18 months and am considering coming off it. I have a bipolar 2 diagnosis, which is characterised by periods of hypomania and mostly depression. My life was really stressful before and I had to cope with bad relationship, stressful job and so on... I'm now doing a part time masters course and work part time.

Reasons I want to come off:

I want to feel passion again... Real passion, not just a vague passing interest.

I want to enjoy food and have sexual feelings again.

I hardly laugh these days... I don't feel deeply. It's annoying me because I used to be so passionate and active.

Things I'm concerned about

Depression crash... If it happens. This drug has taken the edge off my depressions, but I don't know if it's changes to lifestyle or the drug that worked.

If I go down a dose then have to go up, I don't want to have to deal with the side effects all over again.

I have been getting very mild mood cycles, but dunno if that's to do with my environment.

Has anybody got experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    :wave::wave: Hi Namaste
    Have you thought of returning to your mental health practitioner and speaking with them about the way you feel and discussing other treatments with less side affects.
    Coming off medication isn't advisable without first consulting your Practitioner as you may end back in the same position as when you were first put on your med's .
    *hug**hug*
    Hope THis helps
    Jennaflower
  • Options
    As jennaflower says, it's definitely worth talking this through with your GP - you could even take these pros and cons with you to help talk things through. It sounds like things have settled down in your life since you first when on the medication and stress is well known to be a contributing factor when it comes to mental health issues. I'm sure others here have experience to share but it's worth remembering when it comes to meds that experience will be really unique to the individual, of course it's also useful to gather some insight as well.

Let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    Is it worth keeping a diary of how you're feeling and what's going on around you that could be affecting it. If you can see correlations - I felt like what I was feeling was actually perfectly normal considering what was going on in my life when I was taking risperidone which made me feel zombie like. Have you looked at what you could do to make yourself feel better if you do feel down again?
  • Options
    :wave::wave: Hi Namaste
    Have you thought of returning to your mental health practitioner and speaking with them about the way you feel and discussing other treatments with less side affects.
    Coming off medication isn't advisable without first consulting your Practitioner as you may end back in the same position as when you were first put on your med's .
    *hug**hug*
    Hope THis helps
    Jennaflower

Well it took 3 months to get a referral to mental health services as I moved up north, then they refused me to see a psychiatrist or to get any support because I'm too high functioning. They said to get in touch if I feel too unwell to work.

So essentially, if I drop out of my course and job then I can be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Is it worth keeping a diary of how you're feeling and what's going on around you that could be affecting it. If you can see correlations - I felt like what I was feeling was actually perfectly normal considering what was going on in my life when I was taking risperidone which made me feel zombie like. Have you looked at what you could do to make yourself feel better if you do feel down again?
    Exercise I guess... My only concern is if my illness messes up my course, but I think I'll be ok.
  • Options
    Have you got DSA? have you spoken to your uni disablity advisor?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Have you got DSA? have you spoken to your uni disablity advisor?

I have a strategy support man and a mental health support person. I think I'll speak to the latter when i see her next. Thing is, I'm also going through the diagnostic process for autism/aspergers as well (diagnosises - gotta catch 'em ALL), so I may have a new diagnosis... Or a comorbid diagnosis... Or things I may have attributed to bipolar may be part of aspergers (or... or f*ck labels... But y'know, I guess they help a little to get access to services).
  • Options
    Well the GP didn't even really let me speak and wasn't interested in my thoughts on reducing my dosage (slowly and carefully, keeping mood diaries, upping my exercise and avoiding alcohol). She said most people who change their medications relapse and end up very ill. She basically talked over me a few times.

I told her I was keen to reduce it, that I knew my body and had good coping strategies. She said she'd have to speak to the mental health team psychiatrist to support it. I asked if I could be referred to one, just to be certain and she said it depends on that the local mental health team say.

Last time I went to the local mental health team, despite me being relatively new on this drug, they said I was too high functioning to get any help and referred me to autism services and said to get in touch if I become to unwell to do paid work (literally).

I also raised that I don't feel pleasure or much happiness (but not depression, I'm just quite emotionless), I want to be able to be passionate about things and she said that sometimes people have to compromise, but she can't stop me.

So I'm doing it... 50mg reduction. Gonna proper take care of myself and see how it goes with an open mind.
  • Options
    Hi Namaste :wave:

I have been reading your thread about your meds and I am sorry that you didn't get the answer that you wanted from your doctor, it must be disappointing that she didn't give you the support you wanted.

You know your body best and if you feel confident in reducing the tablets then it's up to you but I would do what Miss_Riot says about keeping a diary so if you feel at some point things get out of hand you have the diary to reflect on. I noticed that you weren't too keen on the mental health team thing but it might be best just to give them a chance as you never know when you need the support.

Remember if you find things hard, to talk to us on the boards the support is always here *hug*

purple_rain