Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Living with Bipolar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So after spending numerous nights at 'place of safety' suits around the south-west and visits to general hospitals through overdoses and other forms of self-harm, I spent three weeks in a pyschriatic ward and two weeks at a pyschriatic crisis house. Its come to the time when I've decided 'No more'

My doctor isn't a big fan of giving me medication, she only gives me my sleeping tablets in two-daily prescriptions but is scared I'll collect it and then overdose on everything at once. I'm not really a fan of taking tablets either..

However, i think i've got to the point in life where I figure i need to learn how to live with Bipolar and not fight against it. I've been told i could be re-admited to a pych ward for 6 months and then transferedonto another 6 months if i don't "improve" soon. but i don't wantto spend my life in and out of pyschriatic hospitals..

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sorry to hear how difficult things have been for you.

Medication isn't for everybody- things work for different people, everybody is individual.

Have you been referred for any counselling? And do you have a solid support system in place, like somebody to just talk to when things get tough?

It sounds like your accepting that you don't want to spend your life in and out of hospital, and that is really positive. *hug*

Keep us posted on how your doing. It's been nice to hear from you again.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Medication is something that can make bipolar worst.

Talking to your doctor about types of treatment and different outlooks of things would be the best option.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about taking another view on things.

If you had a long term knee injury - would you think that treatment and a pain management plan for it was a good idea, or would you think it was a good idea to try and carry on and ignore it and repeatedly get stuck in the middle of nowhere when it flared up and you were unable to move.

In that context - things are possibly a bit more straightforward to make sense of. Mental health has more in common with physical health than most people think and deserves the same care and attention.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey,

It's good to have motivation to change.

Like others have said, I'd talk to your doctor to work out what is the best way forward and perhaps create a treatment plan (whether medication or talking therapy) for you to use and work out what to do when you go into crisis.