Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should I do this for him?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Bampi died with oesophageal cancer last September... He went to a local cancer hospital and was receiving treatment... but his tumour bled and he was loosing blood and having to go back and for to hospital... The night before he died my mum and dad visited him and he said he will be home by Monday as they were going to discharge him that day... the next day my mum came into the charity shop in which i volunteer and told me I had to come home because he'd passed away...

My Bampi was my hero... he was also a popular person in the community... he could not go shopping without being stopped to talk by a friend of his. He set up a fishing club in our town, he was a regular at a local pub and a player on the skittles team. he had over 300 people turn up for his funeral... He was respected and loved by all who knew him...

For some time I have been debating what I can do in his memory... I've had hundreds of idea, such as a skydive, I then realised this was an unrealistic idea due to my fear of falling! So now I'm debating a month without internet to raise money for the cancer charity, and debating whether I should try to organise a fishing competition to raise money?.

What else can I do? Should I do anything?

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    A sponsored silence for a week? As a group, getting other people involved, I raised £200+ alone. Or even a bake sale at school, or holding your own raffle, by going round shops and asking for potential freebies, it's great to head out to the market with a letter and what you're doing, and collecting stuff for, we got all sorts when we did that, or even holding your own bingo to raise money, or you could do something in aid of awareness, like a sponsored run, etc.

You said he was a regular at the pub, how about a pub quiz?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm going to start with a month without internet for cancer research.
    People in chat have said i should link the justgiving page but i feel bad because id be using a site ran by a charity to promote another charity... but they still say i should so i compromise, those wishing to see the page and read about the stuff on there feel free to message me for the linkie :)
    Just a practical point - what about internet for school work etc?
    I'm doing it from the 18th Jun to the 18th July, my exam finish on the 17th so I wont need it for school work and I can still use my phone to text and call so my safety feature is still there too! ive raised £40 over nigh im so happy!
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it'd be a great idea to do something to get the whole community involved in and then you could do it as a nice commemoration of him too.
    Like you said a fishing competition and there could be cakes/refreshments for sale. It sounds like he was really well liked so I'm sure a lot of people would like to help!
    Thank Kate, I think im going to do this one and see how it all goes and build up my organisation/activities/challenges from there! :)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Best of luck :)