Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What shall I tell my boss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After 5 weeks into my new job I'm about 90% sure this isnt a career I would like long term, and have started thinking about my options.

Lately though I've started to have 1-1's and stuff, and my boss and the maternity cover boss (as from 2 weeks from now), have been very willing to find out how Im finding everything, any problems please let us know etc etc. They say Im doing well and looking forward to training me on the next bit next week. They're very nice but I never know what to say, as it isnt a problem they can fix.

I dont want to be honest and say Im finding it very dull and uninteresting as I still need a job but IF i find something else in the next month or two I dont want to suddenly spring on them that Im leaving, then they'll ask why didnt you say you had problems?

What do I say, if anything?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't say anything.

if you don't end up finding anything for a good few months imagine how awkward it's going to be in the mean time if you've told your boss in a one to one that you're finding dull and uninteresting! unless the boss can change your job role a little to make it better for you I would just leave it.

if in a couple of months time you do find something else all you have to say is that you've really tried your best but you don't feel it's the right career for you.
  • Options
    In my experience I would recommend saying nothing until you are past the point of no return, ie confirmed job offer. Unless of course for some reason it may help you. When I applied for the Army I only ever told a higher ranking HR person as to allow me to nip off for selection process at short notice, nobody else ever knew. Other jobs I have told people things and it screwed me over for a promotion, even though I didnt end up going for the other job in the end.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I wouldnt want to be fired and when my contract end comes around I would want it to be renewed (although lets hope I've found something else by then!) I just feel so guilty when theyre being so nice and helpful and Im cursing the day I agreed to let myself be put forward for the job. Oh well, live and learn
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't say anything either. I'm finding my job pretty dull but I haven't said anything when they've been asking how I'm finding it. I'm only a temp and only there for another 5 weeks but I can't say I'm finding it boring because then they're not really going to want investing time and effort into training me. It's a case of grin and bear it I think
  • Options
    keep your mouth shut.

My boss knows I'm looking for something else as I've asked him to be a reference. The difference I suppose is that he is my supervisor in an organisation with thousands of employees that I've worked in for over 10 years.
  • Options
    There are things you can say though that would cover the fact that you're currently feeling like you're not working at anything like your capability though.

'I've enjoyed what I've learnt so far, and am looking forward to the next bit of training so I can start working more independantly/doing X/Y/Z'.