Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Would you intervene?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you suspected, or knew, that a friend was being physically abused by her boyfriend would you step in? Is it anyone elses business but the two people involved, or does a third party need to take action to stop anything serious happening?

My friend phoned me this morning in hysterics becuase her boyfriend was rampaging through the flat chucking things about. I'm hundreds of miles away, and I'm not sure what to do, if anything?

Comments

• Options
    eek!

If that were me, I'd want someone to get involved. Maybe not at the actual time, but I'd thank them for it later.

Have you spoken to her since? Is she ok? You're in an awful position, I do hope you work it out.

Love the name btw :p
  • Options
    Yeah I spoke to her, and she seemed to alm down once she'd heard someone else speak to her. But I know he's a bit volatile - he's broken some of her stuff before, and punched a guy she was innocently talking to. But they'rve been together three years, and I don't know if it's any of my business.
  • Options
    I guess you're just going to have to wait until she asks for your help. Is he violent towards her?

My ex had a violent temper & used to his inanimate objects. He almost beat the shit out of a male confidante of mine until he'd told him all I said.

Thinking about it, I don't think I would've wanted anyone to interfere. But then if she's scared enough to call you...

Tricky.
  • Options
    unfortunately, it isn't any of your business. You need to wait for your friend to ask for your help.

Its a sad thing, but the chances are they won't thank you for interefering