Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

System restore Q.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

So I want to do a system restore on my laptop. It's slow and I've done most things (defrag, c cleaner etc). Buttttt the one thing that is holding me back, is I don't want to have to use up another license of Microsoft Office. Is there anyway I can back that up? Or deregister my edition so it doesn't use up a license? Does that make sense?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't remember what it was called but there's something that can read your license key, so you could use it again later.
    If you haven't lost it I think you can just use the same one again, if it's the same computer. At worst you'll have to make a call.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya,

goto http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe

It will download a program that will run a scan of your system. When it is finished it will display a webpage with your system information on. On the left hand side there are some options, one of them is "Software Licences". Click on that and it will display all the software you have installed that requires a product key. Copy it and print it out.
    Thanks guys :)

Turns out I don't have a system restore point before 2014. I vaguely remember making disks when I got the laptop, but 4 house moves later I have no idea where they could be.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    This idea is drastic and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who's not an advanced user, but if you have your Windows product key (should be on the underside of the laptop) and the drivers (should be on the manufacturer's website) then it's legal to download a Windows ISO and install everything from the beginning.
    At least for Vista and 7. Never tried 8, and XP and earlier versions aren't supported any more.
    If its a laptop it probably has a partition to format from, as for reinstalling office use magicjellybean to find your license keys

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk