Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interesting (or weird?) ways of testing out potential dates/lovers/partners

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
When most people lived in small, remote villages, they’d generally pick their spouse from a very small pool of people. Now, in a world where we can meet new people all the time, and there are more single people online than you could ever meet in your life; we have to use shortcuts to decide who to spend our energy on. This means making decisions about what’s most important to you in a potential match. Here’s a few interesting options:

• “Bundling” was practiced in Europe and colonial America until at least the 19th Century. The idea is that a couple spend a night in bed together, talking and sleeping, but with no sex. To keep things “polite”, there would often be a wooden board running down the bed to separate the two potential lovers. In one version, they were each tied into an individual body-sized sack!
• An East London bar has started running “pheromone dating nights”. You wear a T-shirt for three nights and bring it with you. You then smell other people’s T-shirts, and if you like the smell, you can go and meet the person.
• Apps like Tindr invite you to decide whether or not a person is worth getting touch with on the basis of a single photo (and maybe, but often not, a few sentences about them).
• There are now plans to bring a Dutch “naked television dating” reality show to the UK, where all parts of meeting and getting to know someone are done with all parts on show.

What do you think to these ways of testing out potential dates/lovers/partners?

Comments

• Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    It all just seems a bit extreme, and so the people look desperate to me. I have a friend who is constantly trying to meet people and i just wanna tell her to chill out. She's only 19 and is convinced that she has a problem cos she hasn't met someone yet. Going on what i know from my family it just seems unnatural and forced
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I tried online dating for 5 minutes and that felt forced and fake to me so anything like singles nights, speed dating etc feels unnatural to me, let alone smelling clothes to see if you life it!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Going on what i know from my family it just seems unnatural and forced

Intrigued... :)
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Like i come from such a big family and theyre all happily married, with or without kids, and have been for years.. No divorces or anything..
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Like i come from such a big family and theyre all happily married, with or without kids, and have been for years.. No divorces or anything..

Do you talk to your family members about their relationship history at all? Some of them might have met on 'blind date' scenarios or similar? I recently found out that my aunt met my uncle via old school video dating! Was a massive surprise as they've been married for over 30 years and for the most part work really well together... I never ever would have guessed that was how they met, I totally assumed they'd been friends or known each other before. My aunt says she wasn't immediately attracted to my uncle though - it was more about a dynamic that just seemed to work when they spent time together. Looking at them now, no-one would ever consider how they met as an issue, it's more about how they've grown as a couple as they years have passed.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've only ever heard about the t-shirt smelling one and that just seems gross. It's so germy and.. urgh. My ex's shirts smelt nommy but my ex turned out to be horrible. It's a stupid idea, the smell of a t-shirt tells you nothing about the person that wears it so I do not see the point in such a gross activity.

They all seem unnecessary, it's just weird.