Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Meat/Gluten free, anyone else?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!

I've recently been looking at the idea that I may have an allergy to gluten, it explains a lot with my health in recent years but also from my youth. I'm going to see my doctor pretty soon (sooner if I can this week) to get tested, but I've started to cut gluten out of my diet as much as I can and see if there's a definite improvement.

I went meat free originally (just over a year now) because I was having reactions that lasted a few days after eating meat (and no reactions for as long as I never) so I stopped. I'm fine eating seafood though, thankfully.

But since I'm new to the gluten-free diet, can anybody who is gluten-free give me any handy advice or handy websites to wander through? I'm struggling to find food, everything I enjoy is gone and I'm at a loss and where to shop - let alone what to shop for, it's bloody everywhere!

I bought some things from the very small gluten-free section in my local Asda, but it's nothing I can survive on for long. They don't have much choice, and it's expensive...

Comments

• Options
    Sainsburys have a decent selection in their free from section. You're also able to have things like corn and rice.
  • Options
    I'm wheat intolerant, and although I can eat small amounts of wheat-based foods I tend to avoid them.

BBC Food have some good gluten free recipes. Some contain meat but there's also seafood stuff there :)

Bit on the pricey side but Waitrose have a fairly good selection of gluten free foods. I've found that larger stores usually have a better selection.
  • Options
    Gluten free goddess does good home baking recipes.

Look for stuff like polenta, maize or rice flour. Baking your own works!

Is it gluten, or wheat? Wheat intolerance would mean you can eat things like oats.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    Gluten free goddess does good home baking recipes.

Look for stuff like polenta, maize or rice flour. Baking your own works!

Is it gluten, or wheat? Wheat intolerance would mean you can eat things like oats.

I never thought of Sainsburys, I just found out there's a big superstore nearer where I live, the closest used to be about 15 miles. I'll check them out soon. And I don't know if it's gluten or wheat specially yet (I've bought gluten-free oats but yet to try it), I've not been for any tests, so far I've just cut out gluten generally and I've been okay. I've been eating a lot of rice, fruit, veg etc. The main priority for me right now is finding good places to shop so I can mix my options up a bit.
  • Options
    It would be worth getting clear on whether it's gluten or wheat, and then how much tolerance you've got.

If you have a bit of wriggle room then it opens up a lot more options.

My dad was on a gluten free diet for a lot of the time I was a kid. We generally ate things that were naturally gluten free in their normal form rather than the gluten free versions of stuff that would normally contain gluten (if that makes sense).

Lots of cereals are likely to be ok. Rice. Corn etc. I naturally have a very low wheat/gluten diet, probably because of what I grew up eating. Knocking out pasta, pizza and bread is actually pretty easy if you don't rely on packed lunches. It's slightly trickier if you do, but far from impossible.

As a general tip though, you're far better off in the normal aisles of the supermarket with things that are naturally gluten free rather than the bodged version.

Jacket potatoes are your friend.
  • Options
    What about jazzing up meals with pulses, lentils and nuts? Adds lots of flavour and protein/fibre!