Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Stop overthinking!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I always over think every!
I've recently started meeting up with an old friend, we used to go out but have been friends ever since, and I think we're both hoping it will go somewhere this time.
But I can't help thinking about everything, what does that text mean, what shall I reply, does he really care about me, should I tell him what I feel? Etc etc etc.
I don't think there's actually anything going on but I can't help worrying about it.
How do I stop and just enjoy what is actually happening (which has been really good) ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Lexi99,

It's natural sometimes to wonder and question so many things, especially when we care so much, and because, perhaps, we think that by thinking too much, we can control the situation.

I recently read a good quote by the Dalai Lama that is interesting;
    There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe and mostly live

It can be challenging, but living in the present can sometimes really help things.

However I still wonder - is there any reason you might feel so worried? How did things end last time between the both of you?

If you think you are just friend for now, perhaps try and act like he's your friend (trying not to overthink when/what to text back because he's just a friend so makes no difference etc) and see if that helps *hug*
    Yeah, thats a good idea, although I wouldnt want him to get the wrong impression of me. See, there I go again!
    Pretty much every of these "I do X, but I don't like that I do X, what can I do?" have the same answer: Invest some willpower so that you stop doing X. If you find yourself overthinking about a text, put the phone down and go do something productive.

that counts for overthinking, jealousy, drugs, being a lazy fat blob, etc.