Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

depression & children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suffer from depression and i would like a family. My friend thinks that im not mentally stable for a family yet and if i did fall pregnant that i should have the child adopted. would having depression ruin my chances of bringing up a child if that makes sense.

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    not at all ... my sister had depression and she's done brilliantly at raising my nephew ... tbhonest it's even made her happier than before :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Just because you suffer from depression does not mean that your choices and goals in life should be limited. If you want a family and you feel that it's the right thing for you then don't let anybody hold you back :)
  • Options
    I agree with the above comments, just because you suffer with depression does not mean you can't/shouldn't have children, and sometimes children can make you happier.

You say you want a child but do you feel that you are ready or stable enough to have one? How do you feel that having a child would effect you?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi willowtree,

Apologies if I'm wrong but I have the feeling you're still in your teens, is that the case? If you are then the decision to have a family is perhaps one you might want to park for the time being to focus on your own development and aspirations. Having a child and family is a wonderful step - and one that certainly someone who experiences depression is capable of, and yet it's also one that is fraught with challenges, so having a clear sense of self, as well as life experience to help build your emotional strength, can really make that journey a more stable and enjoyable one.

It would be good to hear a little bit more about where you're at. :)

I don't know if this thread is relevant you and where you're at, but one our older posters suzycreamcheese shares some extremely wise words.