Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Speaking to the head of department

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Last night on support chat I asked for help in speaking to my head of department about feeling stressed over the coursework and that I think im going to fail. I am currently in college doing Child care. I have had a lesson with the head of department already but I haven't spoken to him. I know I need to speak to him before the day ends however I don't know what to say and I am feeling really nervous as we are finishing in an hour. I am worrying because I haven't picked up the courage to speak to him.
Is there any advice any of you can give me please?
Thanks
Hann
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Hann,
    Well done for posting - it's clear this is a struggle for you and I know it took a lot of guts to speak to a teacher in the first place. Must have been a a bit of a disappointment to then find out there's yet another hurdle to climb. It is something you have the ability to tackle though - if not today then next time you're in.

In terms of today, are you in a lesson with him right now?
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Thanks for replying. Yeah it is a disappointment, I just can't talk to teachers I don't know why. I'm not in a lesson with him now. However if I was to speak to him I could after this lesson.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya,

How about something really simple along the lines of:

Hi Sir, I was wondering if you've got 10 minutes to talk about the coursework assignment. I'm finding the piece of coursework really difficult, and am really worried about it. 'So and so' has told me that I need to talk to you, to try and work out what's the best way forward.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    What scary said ^
    Hi Hann, did you manage to talk to him today?
    Thank you for replying Scary Monster, I will try this on Wednesday as I am not in tomorrow.
    I haven't spoken to him today because I was a bit annoyed at a classmate for saying something not nice to me, so I didn't really feel in the mood to speak to the head of department plus I was still a bit scared.
    Thank you for replying Scary Monster, I will try this on Wednesday as I am not in tomorrow.

Great, that sounds really positive.

Hope you're feeling better after what happened with your classmate. *hug*
    I just dont think im going to bother talking to him. Sorry for wasting your time...
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Whys that?
    I just dont think im going to bother talking to him. Sorry for wasting your time...

You haven't wasted anyone's time. Maybe it's worth going back to the tutor you spoke to before to explain any concerns? They may be able to offer some reassurance about what the potential outcomes might be?
    I think I might just leave it all and forget all about it. Im just moaning. Im just worthless don't deserve anything
    Sorry for what I said the whole reason is this:
    I am recently feeling like I'm worthless. I think what brought this on was when I spoke to my teacher about thinking I'm going to fail the course, and a couple days after that a girl in my class said, quite loudly during class, "Hannah why did you go and speak to Joanne about not being able to do your work when you aren't doing it now?" at that moment I was actually doing some work. What she said was wrong, however I didn't want to correct her and then say why I really went to speak to Joanne. After she said that I just felt like I'm just moaning all the time. I then started thinking that I don't deserve any help, I just don't bother to do any work and then end up moaning that I don't get it. I am now getting thoughts of wanting to harm myself to try and stop myself from thinking of what my classmate said. This is the whole reason why I don't want to speak to any more teachers about it.
    Hey Hann,
    I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to hold onto someone's false belief about your or link it back to yourself just because it was said.

I don't know why your classmate thought it was OK or acceptable to say what she did - that's about her, not you - but either way, when people say things about us that aren't true, it can be reassuring to know that just because they said it out loud, doesn't mean it has any weight.

You absolutely deserve help because it's clear that if you had a little more direction to understand, you more than likely will be able complete it. The fact that you've got as far as speaking to Joanne is great.

Don't forget support chat is on this sunday so you can bring this with you and get some support for maybe taking it to the next stage next week. :)

In the meantime, be kind to yourself and perhaps think about why you started the course in the first place - you know you have worth to offer the children you'd like to work with.
    Ok, I know, I just basically believe most things people tell me, and that's one of them.
    I know I was annoyed with her for it however I didn't want to start an argument and then have the class hear everything.
    Thank you. Yeah my friends have said that.
    I'm on now, I just don't really want to keep bringing it up. I'm not in next week, got block placement.
    Yeah I need to stop being hard on myself...
    Hey I have spoken to a different teacher, just before the Easter holidays and she suggested for me to go and get ALS, and maybe have like 1-2-1's with them. However I just feel uncomfortable. Like I know I might need help, but I just don't feel comfortable asking for help and like having someone watching me work or stuff like that. I just don't know what to do.
    Hey I just seen ur post

Sorry to hear that :(

A big well done for speaking to someone :) u shoul be proud of urself ;). There there to help u what ever u need help with :) u can think whats best for u Hun don't push or farce urself into it it just make u even more stressed. I can tell u something I was in school and collage I had lids of diffrant people there with me helping me with the things I couldn't do I was the same scared nurvouis angus with them being watching me when I did my work tell u something it really really helped me understand and learn better and I was able to have one to one time where we sat in a room on my own to constrat more better and not as scared and that. If u feel bad and u think u need help u can always ask to do ur work with a teacher on ur own and it Moore better to understand and constact with my work and u know u got them to urself to help u

Let us know rember we here for u ur not on ur own. That's what we all are here for :)
    Also u can get to know them more and to get to trust them then u feel less uncferble
    ALS can be great. I went to uni, and started getting help fr from them about half way through. The only regret I have is that I didn't get it 10 years earlier.

They don't watch you work, they work with you to break things down into manageable chunks and help you plan and do it. Really good idea to have a chat with them.
    Thanks for answering guys :)
    I think I might speak to my teacher about it tomorrow and see what she says and then maybe speak to the head of ALS and then see what happens from then on. I'm just not used to getting help, I always just suffer in silence and then always get bad grades because of it. I'm also not great when it comes to talking to teachers about my work, if it is talking about other things like our personal life's then I can do that as I feel more comfortable.
    Well-done for doing it ;)

Let us know how ur getting on ;)