Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Expert chat: Disability/Health issues and Employment Tues 25th March 7pm-8pm

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
We're inviting to you to put your questions and concerns about work and disability to someone in the know. Just come to TS chat room at 7pm. :thumb:

Who are our experts?
13243078604_cd148ccb55.jpg

Hello! My name is Sarah, I am a graduate with nearly 4 years of paid employment. I also happen to have a physical disability meaning I am a full-time wheelchair user, but that hasn't stopped me from progressing in my career. If anything, I believe that my disability has increased my determination to overcome challenges and prove to myself and others what I am capable of.

What's her expertise?

Not only do I also have an interest assisting people to negotiate potential barriers in work, I will also soon be starting a new role as 'Employment Facilitator' at Mencap where I will be helping adults with a learning disability to explore future work placements and paid employment.

What can you ask questions about?

TheSite has asked me to host a web chat and offer my work-based expertise. Whatever concerns you may have about your transition from education to work, whether they be a physical disability, mental health problem, a specific learning difficulty or learning disability I will be here to answer your questions. I am happy to discuss anything related to gaining work experience, this may include how and when to disclose your disability or health problem and finding out the kinds of support available to you.
sSJMK2P.jpg?1

Hello, I'm Hazel! I'm an Employment Coordinator for Mencap's 'Work Choice' programme for adults with learning difficulties.

What's her expertise?

Individuals attend workshops with me to improve work-ready skills and over come potential barriers to work, practicing interview skills and understanding what is expected of them in the working world. I also support people make job applications, in interviews and job coach once a new role has been started to make sure people feel happy and confident in their new position!

What can you ask questions about?

I have supported people with a range of learning difficulties, which are sometimes accompanied with other health problems.

I'm happy to discuss any concerns such as legal rights at work for people with learning difficulties, practical tips on interviews and approaching employers for the first time with your difficulty. I can also help around the sort of support available from programmes like Work Choice and the other organisations that are experts in supporting people with different, specific needs find work.

If you can't make this session, then feel free to ask your questions in advance by PM'ing them to me, Jo7 or Jpick. :thumb:

Here's the link.

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Gutted I missed this.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gutted I missed this.

It's next week ;)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Lol just figured that out. Clearly I need some sleep. Haha! ;)

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Totally setting my alarm for this one! Thanks guys this will be HUGELY helpful!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Totally setting my alarm for this one! Thanks guys this will be HUGELY helpful!

Glad to hear it - please do promote among your wider networks if you feel it would be appreciated.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    ^ Update! We now have two experts coming along :)

And a reminder that this is tomorrow!
    Not today??
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Not today??

Yes, today :) JPick wrote 'tomorrow', yesterday.
    Tapatalk time stamping is buggy
    Yep, this is happening TODAY! :thumb:

(by today, I mean Tuesday the 25th of March, 2014, 7-8pm!)

(*shakes head at Tapatalk*)
    Daft question: assume this includes mental health issues too?
    Daft question: assume this includes mental health issues too?

Not a daft question at all!

Yes, it does ;)
    We're open!