Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Visiting rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

My ex wont let me see our son by myself, i get a few hours on a saturday afternoon.

She wont let me have him by myself.

I really want to know what I can do.

I dont want to see her if she dont want to be with me anymore because its emotional to be around her, I want to spend quality time with him without her.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Have you ever spoken with a mediator to see if you can arrange something amicably? Has she said why she won't let you see your child on your own?
  • Options
    We havent spoke with a mediator no.

She has let me think that we can get back together for ages which is why I havent pushed it but we are defo not getting back together now she dont want to.

She thinks I will take him to my family members who she dissaproves of.

FYI I got no intention of doing that I only want to see him I dont even see my family members who she dislikes.

I said I dont want to see her because its not fair for him, she thinks im being selfish and just want what is good for me but I said if she dont want to get back with me then I dont want to see her anymore because its not good for me. Plus she likes to always decide what we do and where we go.

I want to be able to plan something and know that the plan will happen without her changing her mind at the last minute, especially when I always pack a bag and take it out with me fior the day and might end up carrying round a towel in my bag because we was suppose to go swimming but she changed her mind.
  • Options
    I would suggest sitting and calmly making it clear what you both want for your child and working out and agreement you both stick to. Otherwise I would get a mediator involved.
  • Options
    Hey there,
    Sorry to hear you've having difficulty in setting up contact with your son.
    I'm going to assume you've from the UK in rest of my post, so please do correct me if I am wrong.

As Miss_Riot says you can try to sit down with the mother of you son and work out what will be best for your son. It's really important to be calm, constructive and to think about what would be best for your son.

If that doesn't work then you can try mediation. Many mediation services offer legal aid to cover the cost of mediation so ask about this.
    Mediation is where an independent third party will try to bring everyone towards an agreement to move forward.

If that doesn't work then you can make an application to the court for a contact order or a residence order (although these will be called 'child arrangement orders' later on this year).

You may like to seek legal advice about this although you can make this application yourself. Ask the court for the right forms and also for a fee remission form to see if you will be exempted from the court fee.

You can search for a family mediator or a family lawyer using this search facility - http://find-legal-advice.justice.gov.uk/

:)