Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Don't want to lose a fighting diet battle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am doing really well on my diet at the moment. Down to a weight I'm pretty happy with now and according to my BMI, I am now healthy weight.

Now I want to build muscle especially on my abs so need to eat food that's going to help me with that.

But tonight, I'm being cooked by my Mum a dinner which I would consider a cheat meal in comparision to what I've been eating (a couple of rashers of bacon, oven chips, baked beans, sweetcorn and peppers). I said to her that I deserve it after my dieting, but she's saying that I need to eat 'normal food' now as I'm apparently really skinny now which I don't believe I am.

I've lost weight but I still see a bit of flab on my stomach so I need to tighten it rather than lose it. So I said to my mum that I don't want to eat too much 'normal food' as I don't want to put on weight. She then goes on a rant saying that she hopes I don't go all anorexic and that I'm getting obsessed with my diet. Then my Dad goes on saying that because I lost weight, I have lost strength even though I'm still as strong as I was. I just want to have a body I can be happy with and hopefully have a girl who can like me.

I've done so well and so happy with it. I've not touched chocolate for a month, and not had chips for ages until now. And I go to the gym three times a week, and go for 1 run a week.

Just need some help on what to do. I want to eat 'muscle building' food such as lean meats, nuts, vegetables, etc. But my family are making it so hard being so patronising, and making me feel so stupid. :(

Comments

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Now you're at that healthy weight you wanted can start allowing the 'naughty food' back into your diet as long as maintain a healthy amount of exercise. If youre at a gym already you should be able to get advice from personal trainers or other gym members (and make new friends :P) to figure out the best toning exercises or join classes :) That means you probably won't have to change your diet so noticeably because you're doing muscle specific exercise and maybe your family wont nag so much? As long as you ensure your mental and physical state is healthy then it might make them feel better and you can always get regular check ups at the doctor or gym and show your family results from an actual medical bmi test and they should back off. They're obviously just worried about you but I think as long as you feel healthy and happy in yourself and don't get too caught up in everything then you shouldn't be too concerned about what they think
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you Annaarrr.

I did have some cake today with my parents and it hardly made any difference so I can afford to do so. I've just given a 3 day food log to an online dietitian and she's going to get back to me to what I should be looking into eating more of, and what I need to do in terms of calorie intake. I'm also in a program with my personal trainer and I'm doing well with it, he's going to give me some results in the next week in terms of metabolism and body fat. I've already told my parents that I've focused on gaining muscle rather than lose weight, I just need some dietary guidance on what food to eat.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    You're clearly doing amazingly well, I couldn't be this committed :P I don't do any exercise as it is.. Well done for taking all the right steps to make sure it's all healthy as well :) I don't see how your parents can have an issue if you're doing all this, just try and ignore them if you can, you know you're doing the right thing for you :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Feels great to read something like that, thank you.

I'm happy that from being overweight at Christmas, I'm now at a healthy weight. And my aim is to have a nice body. I feel that I have a lot of will power to cut my habit of constant snacking, I think it was due to boredom. I would go downstairs and get biscuits or crisps. Because of this diet, I have learnt so much about food and nutrition, and that there's so much healthy food that I can actually enjoy. I want to also be able to eat 'normal' food such as chips and chocolate soon but I think I'll enjoy that more if I eat it less and watch my weight in the process.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Really well done with this Wavy, you have a lot to be proud of!

It does sound like you are doing all the right things and although your mum is concerned it does sound like you are doing all the right things. Good luck with the dietician!