Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

College expect me to run Windows

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello,
I'm a Linux user who is having trouble opening certain college files. I've bumped into problems where college have severely restricted me, I am not allowed to do my work at home because they don't like it when Microsoft Office messes up the formatting of class assignments I've finished off at home using LibreOffice/OpenOffice. I am coming into college from 9am up until 7pm everyday to work around them just so I can finish my work and it is getting to much.

I have explained to them that I am a Linux user and they bring up exuses such as "Well most people use Windows so you should make sacrifices and install Windows.", My machine wont even run Windows!

Anyway I tried to open up an excel document and it had several display errors due to LibreOffice and OpenOffice not supporting MS Office macros, I tried opening the document in Microsoft Excel Online and it expected me to install a copy of Microsoft Office onto my machine then I tried to open the document in Google Docs and Google Docs couldn't open it at all.

These files work fine in college but I find it unacceptable that I have to waste time and go through hard work just so that I can read a document. I asked that they save help sheets and stuff in PDF format so that the files will open on most computers but they said "No we can't do that for such and such a reason."

They are just making up excuses not to cater for non-Windows students. What do I do?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's their option for people without a computer at home?
    What's their option for people without a computer at home?

They have to do their work in college.
    Then unfortunately I think you've answered your own question! Is there anyway they could help you with any changes to your computer to allow it to run windows?
    Is it possible that they are not able to produce documents in a pdf format because they don't know how to? It could be as simple as installing a print driver that prints to pdf though they may not have the technical knowledge or confidence to do it. Have you tried raising this higher to see if there is anything else that can be done?

Whilst I do sympathise with your situation, if there are other people who use college computers to do work then there are facilities there for people who dont have computers or use linux. Is there any way you could borrow a laptop or use someone elses computer when you are doing work?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Is it possible that they are not able to produce documents in a pdf format because they don't know how to? It could be as simple as installing a print driver that prints to pdf though they may not have the technical knowledge or confidence to do it. Have you tried raising this higher to see if there is anything else that can be done?

Whilst I do sympathise with your situation, if there are other people who use college computers to do work then there are facilities there for people who dont have computers or use linux. Is there any way you could borrow a laptop or use someone elses computer when you are doing work?

I've been looking into that. :)
    Why exactly makes your computer unable to run Windows?

Have you looked into installing Office on Linux using programs like WINE, CrossOver if not a virtual machine?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wine doesn't work well with MS Office, according to its appDB.
    Wine is pretty terrible in general, but CrossOver is decent. Office 2007 says it works fine, I wouldn't expect newer versions to work well. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992