Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Could they be wrong?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
OK, so I just got offered a job, which is great, and I kinda accepted (although not officially, haven't signed anything yet). The thing is, they're offering me a lot more than I expected and than I was told to expect by someone (although that was for a kinda different position).
They didn't test me thoroughly in the interview, knowledge-wise that is, there was a very basic test that they even said was just to weed out people who pretend to know things and don't.

I do believe I can do what they're asking, it's just the salary that "scares" me.
Am I just overthinking things? Or could they be in for a (bad) surprise?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Any opinions? If accepting is a bad idea I need to be dissuaded today...
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Indrid,

Congratulations on the job offer!

It sounds like you think you know what to expect, but having seen the salary, you're not so sure. I can see why that's a tricky position to be in as you don't want them to have unrealistic expectations of your knowledge and abilities - a higher salary does tend to indicate a higher level of responsibility. Ultimately though, they know what the role involves and have offered it to you. They think you're qualified and capable, which is a massive vote of confidence! You haven't deliberately mislead them, so it's on them. Maybe the best way to find out is by giving it a go? Do you have a probationary period?
    Thanks for the reply!
    They didn't mention a probation period. They basically need someone urgently because the previous person is leaving in a week, so we'll have a week for him to show me the ropes.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think you need to have a little bit more self belief and confidence in your ability. They saw something they liked in you so you should take it as a confidence boost. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Thanks littlemissy. :)
    Probation period is 6 months. This makes me feel better, oddly enough.
    I'm just waiting to be e-mailed the employment terms.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Indrid,

A probation period can be nice. It can take the pressure off a little bit as it gives both you and your employer a bit of time to make sure the fit is right. Have the employment terms come through yet?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Any update on this bud. Am curious

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Well, I started there yesterday (so not as much time to check this forum as there used to be).
    I'm still not that familiar with their system so I'm not feeling comfortable yet. I hope I get it well enough before the other guy leaves at the end of the week. They do understand that things will be slow at first though.