Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How much exercise!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know nothing about this stuff so i need some help on how much exercise to do! I dont wanna lose weight just not gain anymore as a result of my office job and perhaps tone up a bit.

Im interested in going to zumba and aqua zumba as that seems like its my thing and based on the classes that are on and travelling etc, i could go 2 minimum and 4 max times a week for one hour (im guessing) intense sessions.

Is this enough considering between saturday and monday there wont be anything on, and ill probably be at home sleeping in etc? How long does it take of not doing exercise before you'll start struggling with it again?

Comments

• 'Alexandra''Alexandra' Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    I listened to a podcast the other day that was titled efficient exercise. The caller asked what was the easiest way to stay fit and unfortunately their answer wasn't sit at the desk and eat cakes all day. Their recommendation was 3 times a week of intensive exercise (so zumba is a definite win in that department) and then 30 minutes a day of low exercise (like walking). You probably achieve this 30 minutes already by walking to and from public transport/car, but if you wanted to make sure you could implement a stairs only rule.

I think the fact that your conscious of this at the beginning of the new office job, probably means you'll be a-okay :thumb:
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    That should be plenty :) if you push yourself to much you'll get fed up and quit :/ And your muscles may feel crampy and painful for the first week or 2 but you should get used to it after that :) Good luck with the classes!
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My work is right by quite a steep hill into town as well so ive made it my goal to try and walk up it at least once in my lunch break.

The thing is the classes start between 1 hour and 2.5 hours after i finish work and its a 30 minute journey each way from there to home so because of travelling back and forth, coming home and going out again etc, i hope i can stay motivated to go. Maybe i should go to the ones that start at 6 so I have to stay out and not get tempted to stay at home and get in pjs
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    good idea! :) or maybe go there straight from work? you can get changed and grab a drink there :D
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''