Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mental Health Assesments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm rubbish at assessment meetings and new people but finally they have on my notes how difficult it is for me. I have an early intervention appointment next week I've had one in the past but it didn't go well as they sent me two males after clearly written on all my notes needs a female present but they didn't listen. I know its a new team but I'm scared of them coming I hate assessments and get worked up over them. I can't really remember the last one I had as I blanked it out.

What can I expect and how do people find it easier to open up to strangers?

I won't go into any issues as thats pointless to go into. I just want advice and I don't feel like sharing much of my personal experience.

Thanks

Liz :)

Comments

• Options
    Dont be scared i have only ever had one assessment but that was bad enough. what you should do is to just try to relax yourself before and i know its going to be hard but just think they just want to ask questions try to think of it as a friend maybe askingthose questions it might make you feel more relaxed or perhaps when you start talking to them you might feel a whole lot more comfortable with the situation and you might find that what you say comes out alot easier .

Hope this helps
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there Blondie,

WillowTree has offered fab advice, just wanted to echo them, and reassure you, really! I know from personal experiences, that mental health assessments can be quite daunting, and rather scary and hectic all at the same time. However, you've taken the first few steps by taking your amazing courage, and arranging it all, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about your assessments in the past, it might be worth dropping a quick text to your key worker, about who might potentially be coming, to hopefully go more smoothly, I know that knowing who might be potentially popping by helps a bit, even if their not to sure, they can always find out for you :) Or can try to :heart: Worth giving it a shot though :)

It's exceptionally difficult to open up to strangers, as you really don't have a relationship bond between them, or really any form of trust, however lovely, take a deep breath, tell yourself it will be okay, listen to the Frozen audio, because it's amazing ;) - And write down a few notes on what you might want to say, and when you become hesitant, you can always hand over the notes you've written. It really helps the flow off the sessions :) Also potential questions you might want to ask, or anything that might worry you about it all, how does that sound?

However, in the long run, it would be incredibly useful for both yourself, and them, as you'll be asked about what's going on, and how you're feeling, and that should decide what the right support for you as an individual will benefit from most, have you been told aspects of the assessment, yet lovely? :)

However Liz, stay strong, and do let us know how the assessment goes,
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart :heart:
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies Willowtree and Whispersoftheheart.

Yeh I usually keep things written down but if i don't like them or don't click I won't be open with them the team know this, and have it written over the notes how difficult some things are for me so hopefully this taken into consideration it won't be too bad for me. It's just trying to get the right support and everything, sometimes they understand other times they really don't get it at all trying to explain when you can't even understand it yourself is like puzzle but hopefully they'll be ok :)

CPN still hasen't rang she was meant to last thursday so I'm hoping she don't spring the assessment on me for like Tuesday least it'll be out the way. Don't use text message with CPN might ask her about it through as it sometimes easier for me but don't think our CMHT use mobiles its just one line through to everyone.

Thanks again :)