Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Social Anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i have been suffering with social anxiety for a while now, it gets in the way of my life so much, i cant really do much without my social anxiety getting in the way its so frustrating and it just gets to me so much. I cant do much socially, my friends might ask me to go somewhere but i just say no or come up with some stupid excuse and when i actually do go i want to leave after about 5 minutes, its go to the point where they dont even bother to ask me anymore. Its affected my education aswell, i was at college but i dropped out and its because of my social anxiety, when we first started we had to do these things called icebreaker where we have to get into groups and do some activity and basically get to know each other but me being the quiet and anxious person i am i didnt really get to know anyone, nobody really bothered with me in my class because of how quiet i was, they just ignored me and everyone seemed to know each other while i was just sat there all by myself, maybe if they got to know me and actually talk to me they might like me? it got to the point where i just couldnt handle it anymore and i dropped out. Social anxiety just gets in the way so much, i dont know how to cope or how to deal with it its so hard.

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi LP1234

That does sound really hard. Do your friends know that you suffer with social anxiety? I know it can be hard to explain, but it can be really helpful to have people around who know what's going on and support you.

It sounds like you feel quite limited about what you're able to do at the moment, and that your friends invite you to things that feel to much to cope with. Could you make it the other way round, and invite them to do something that you feel more comfortable with? If it feels safer to meet people one at a time or in small groups, or at your house or somewhere you know well and like, then that could be a really good start. Then you'd get to spend time with your friends, and they would know that you're making an effort too.

Social anxiety is really common, but it is something you can change with work and support. As your social anxiety is getting the way so much, it might be worth looking at getting some support with it. Have you come across Anxiety UK? They have information on social anxiety, as well as various support options including a helpline on 08444 775 774 (9:30-5:30 Monday to Friday) which is staffed by volunteers with personal experience of anxiety.

I hope that helps a bit
  • Options
    Hi, I feel the same way. I made it through college although in my last year I hardly ever turned up because I would get to the doors and have a panic attack. It just wasn't worth going anymore. I feel like anxiety is ruining my life. Have u spoken to ur doctor? I think I'm going to give that a try.
  • Options
    What you explained is like how I am. I didn't realise it was social anxiety :/ hope you're okay?

Sent by Sony Xperia